close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plumage

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by ajkulish, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ajkulish

ajkulish

Hey guys,

I was thinking about my weekend decoy set up, and was wondering about the plumage on some of the birds shot so far in the NLP and UP so far. Are there actually greenheads or are they all in eclipse? I have seen mostly eclipse plumage on your pictures so far, but a trip on lunch led me to a creek with 4 mallards that look damn well like they might have just shaken some snow off. What are you all seeing?

2. walter sniper

walter sniper

Mature males are just about full
    Immature will go later in season

Take a few decoys and blotch a little grey and brown on heads if you want eclipse ducks.

3. ajkulish

ajkulish

I was figuring just throw all my hens out, and a handful of regular drakes

4. JBooth

JBooth

Brown ducks work for everything

Bertslash and Duck-Hunter like this.
  5. SL80

SL80

I've seen some good looking mallards, wood ducks, and wigeons while scouting this week. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. adam bomb

adam bomb

I think you're overthinking this. When they can tell if my decoys are fully colored or not they should be laying belly up...

To answer your question. After hunting in ND and the NWLP the adults are close and the juvies pretty brown yet.

7. ajkulish

ajkulish

haha, i think they can tell the difference between a hen and a drake decoy from pretty far out..

8. adam bomb

adam bomb

And a fully plumed Drake decoy would make others wary why? I'm not trying to be a jerk, by all means do what you like, I just don't give them that much credit. I have never said i need a full hen spread because it's early season and we do pretty well on the birds.

9. ajkulish

ajkulish

Fair enough, there are just going to be thousands of spreads out there on saturday, I'd like to look a little more "real" than the rest.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  10. jwinks

jwinks

A lot of people would argue that running a spread of all January drakes would be more attractive to ducks because it's much more visible because of the bright colors. And it's not like there are NO prime drakes out there.

11. ajkulish

ajkulish

^^^
    I can definitely see that. I have never held back on any opener before, just an idea i am entertaining.

12. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I never picked through my decoys before opener. Yes, you will see a lot more "dull" looking birds on opener. Then again these birds are not pressured yet. By the time they realize the jig is up, they should be greeted by shotgun barrels.

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  13. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

i was surprised the drake i shot near traverse city on the opener was a large bird with full plumage

ajkulish likes this.
  14. craigrh13

craigrh13

We’ve picked up a good amount of new birds this week and I’m talking some real good looking drakes. Full color and all.

Bertslash and ajkulish like this.
  15. The Doob

The Doob

I have always ran a 2 to 1 drake to hen ratio in my spread, regardless of the time of year. It seems to work for me although the idea of more hens early in the year has been discussed internally with my peers. The thinking that the drakes provide more visibility for the spread overrides the premise that there are more LBD's early thus requiring more hens/eclipse drakes among the decoys.

ajkulish likes this.