Plow ???

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by buckykm1, Jan 8, 2018.

1. buckykm1

buckykm1

I have a 2007 Suzuki 450 King Quad, and I am thinking about putting the Cabela's 60" universal plow kit on it.
    I have never plowed with a ATV, any thoughts ? , Good, Bad or ugly ?

my age is sneaking up on me, 65, I am thinking the plow should be easier than my 27" snowblower ?.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. F. Thompson

F. Thompson

Good luck Kevin. We sold our plow and Quad because it was too much of a jolt to my shoulders. We had our shoulder replaced and just turned 66 . Ended up buying a snow blower for our John Deere tractor.

Best of luck

dachief and buckykm1 like this.

3. flyting

flyting

I have a Polaris sportsman 500 with a 60 in. plow. I enjoy plowing better than the snow blowing back in my face. I take my time and push the snow back further than I need to early in the winter. The snow blower may be a cleaner looking job and I know those little cabs on them helps the snow blowing back on you.

4. pike man

pike man

I plow with my Arctic Cat 550, 50" plow. Only issue is the cable lifting up and down wears out and breaks. I've heard of synthetic rope but don't know if it would be any better. Thoughts ?

F. Thompson and buckykm1 like this.
  5. buckykm1

buckykm1

I'm at the age I like slow and easy, and I have chains for all 4 tires too if needed ?, and plenty of room to push it. I think that I can even do most of my sidewalks too.
    I even thought about putting a snowblower on it, but can't justify 5 or 6K for one.

Thanks
    Kevin

6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I have a 1995 King Quad and have been plowing with it since I got it. Get a winch to lift it, a battery maintainer and a little weight. Make sure you push it back cause once you stop, it'll freeze there and it will be like a brick wall. Mittens and a windshield aren't a bad idea either.

Downsea and buckykm1 like this.
  7. Dom

Dom

Also in 60's here, and prefer to plow. Am using a Honda Foreman 450, no chains, and a winch to lift. If you have room to maneuver, I like it better than a snowblower. Harder in tight spaces, if you have long runs it does a great job, start in the middle of the driveway and go up and down a few times and lickety split you're done.

fishwiz, buckykm1 and FREEPOP like this.
  8. buckykm1

buckykm1

Thanks Guys.
    I already have a 2,500 pound winch on it, might need to switch some cable over to the winch Rope ?.
    I guess that I will have to see on that ?.
    driveway pushes will be about 80'
    and I am hoping that I can do most of my sidewalks too ?, almost 200' of them.
    but it's all in a pretty open area, so I have plenty of room to maneuver.
    in the past it hardly ever got used except on my hunting trips out west, so I always keep a Battery Tender on it now, before I started doing that, I had to replace the battery about every 18 months.

Kevin

9. brigeton

brigeton

I plow with a 350 rancher. Before that I used a blower on my lawn tractor. The quad does it a lot quicker and works in a heavy wet snow that plugs up a blower. As said push the snow back as far as you can at the beginning of winter because once the banks are there you can't move them back later. Also plow every time you get a couple inches of snow, if you wait until there is 5-6" it will take a lot longer because of the small size of the plow compared to a plow on a truck.

buckykm1 likes this.
  10. buckykm1

buckykm1

Thanks.
    My Wife says that I am OCD, even with the blower, if we are getting much snow, I will go out several times and clean things up, our driveway is concrete, and I like to keep it snow free.

Kevin

11. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
  12. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I wonder the price on those things?

You can get a winch for $50 now.

13. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    2k, no denying it's not cheap but Boss engineered the heck out of the fit and finish of the brackets and hydraulic unit. It responds instantly.

14. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I took my cable off my new Teryx4 for the winter and replaced it with a 2" wide strap. I got the strap at a local farm store. It has a loop on one end and I cut it down to length (14' for my 5000lb winch) and trim the spool end so it will start in the hole on the spool. I had this same setup on my old Rhino with the same 6' blade and never wore out the strap. 20180109_072226.jpg

15. justincasei812

justincasei812

Shields, MI / Hunt Western U.P. or Alpena
    I have a Kawasaki 360 with a plow and a manual lift. I like that much better than my snow blower. I do have a bigger driveway with a turnaround and circle so I had to figure out a pattern to get it done the most efficient way. Everyone who said push it back as far as you can is right. Once it freezes that is as far as you are going with the snow. I was out yesterday moving snow piles back further with the warmer weather before everything freezes back up again.

buckykm1 likes this.