Platte river help...

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by fowlpursuit, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Hose Puller

Hose Puller

Benzie Rover, you mentioned using a jig in your post. I thought the hook regulation stated that you cannot have a weight rigidly attached to a hook. Does this regulation refer to a jig? I was always under the assumption that jigs were illegal in the Platte based on this wording. I understand the intention of the law. Is it something that a CO will allow as long as you aren't reeling fish in backwards? Have I misinterpreted the law? I have only been on the Platte a few times and I don't have a law degree to understand all the trout stream rules and regulations. Hopefully with your experience you can clarify this for me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Sparky23

Sparky23

That's what happens when you close other areas and spread out the trash making it harder to patrol. They will close the Platte next so they can do less work.

riverbob likes this.

3. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

You sir are 100% spot on with your post. I have fished and observed this system for the last 25 years straight. I’m going there in 2 weeks to cast the surf for 5 days. Maybe the circus will have left town by then. Just going to enjoy the beauty of it all and a fish or two would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

FishMichv2 likes this.
  4. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

I’m blame the drone footage from a couple years ago on spilling the beans on this spot. We figured it out a long time ago looking at stocking records, wind, lake flips, and getting away from people. It worked for about 15 years For us, until some wanna be Internet fishing pro(Water Wolf) made it a **** show in that stretch. And yes, give a year or two, and it might be closed as well.

bansheejoel and FishmastaZERO like this.
  5. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Looks like a total shyte show. Bunch of idiots lining one of the most bitey salmon we have.

I love coho, they bite well. They’re also very spooky, much more so than kings. I bobbered a couple at a river mouth last week and they were really scrappy. The male cartwheeled probably 7x! Once I start seeing beautiful, shiny coho...kings take an immediate backseat.

6. Sparky23

Sparky23

Didnt help at all. Fish fray. Was the bad one

7. bansheejoel

bansheejoel

As soon as he released that video I knew it was going to be a **** show the following year.

Hopefully it settles back down a bit but once the lowlifes got the taste for flossing those ho’s in that clear water they will be back, unfortunately.

Sparky23 likes this.
  8. MT2MI

MT2MI

I agree 100% with the assessment of the fish and current state of the fishery and the methods being used. Really a shame! Just no ethics or sportsman ship involved. Social media is probably the #1 culprit and Fish Fray's video is at the top of the list! Glad he got a fine for that! I just can't figure out why people feel they need to show boat on the internet? People just dont seem to understand how rewarding it is to figure something out for themselves.

The other factor that has lead to the circus is the water level in the lower river which has concentrated wading significantly. I don't know if they will close sections or not? But, one thing that I think could help possibly reduce crowds and maybe help with trash clean up and restoration is if Sleeping Bear started charging and enforcing entrance fees for all the damn vehicles parked along the road!

9. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

Based on how much the DNR pimps this spot out on Facebook, I doubt they will be closing that area.

10. FishMichv2

For the Platte, I gotta catch that first push or wait till the circus is gone to find biters. Right now the fish are as spooky as bait in a minnow bucket with a 5 year old trying to catch one by hand. Yesterday I took the boat out to Loon Lake and also down towards the weir. Fish just being chased and corralled from the mouth all the way up to Loon. I'd guess more than 200 people in that stretch...not fun to participate in or see.

11. FishMichv2

I agree about the entrance fee for sure. That would go a long way I think. I feel bad for the people who have cabins on that stretch.

12. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Anyone try correlating water temps and the Coho bite? I fish them sometimes coming in off Lake Superior and they are never hard to catch with a variety of methods. But that is a little later in the fall and the fish are coming in to cold water.

Am starting to wonder if coming in to September river water in the 60s is what creates the ‘lockjaw’ where not even a reaction strike can be generated on a spinner.

Also have been thinking that only the fresh fish will still try and feed, but entering warm water flips that switch off more quickly.

Watched a variety of people try a variety of techniques for Coho in a stream the other day. I tried drifting fresh uncured Chinook skein while others tried plugs and spawn bags. I switched to spinners of multiple sizes and colors. Nothing for anyone, though fish were rolling/jumping on the surface constantly. Water still 60 degrees there.

One guy was getting hits, still fishing a small wet fly in the deepest water available. (Easy to figure out for a stream Trout fisherman but not for many others). One friend thought his results were from fish bumping his line, but the current was slow there and I don’t think it was fish hopelessly getting snagged by a small single hook. The fish he did land was nice and silver whereas all the jumping fish were clearly quite dark. Dunno what kind of fly he was using though.

13. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

I walked by the houses on Thursday about 9AM. An old friend's yard is trashed. Made me sick to my stomach. Lawn chairs full of disrespect like I've never seen on this river. But I tend to avoid it until October normally. Between the video and the new rules on the Betsie...it is sad. I am full agreement with the park service writing tickets all the way from Riverside to the mouth (if they legally can.) There were 27 vehicles parked in and around El Dorado, a dozen between there and the mouth. 39 by the houses and at least another dozen by the weir. Must have been between 12 and 15 boats in the river. A couple decent sized pods of fish swimming up and down as they attempted to dodge incoming fire. I must say I didn't observe any aggressive behavior, but it just made me feel bad. I played the game at 6th Street, Allegan, and Tippy back in the 80's. Graduated from that mess and always liked the solitude on the Platte. Oh well, I headed for the PM right after my stroll. I'll be back in October with a couple garbage bags.

14. Matt3ddsteel

Matt3ddsteel

As already stated, social media and everyone trying to be some youtube fishing celebrity is the problem. Even if they don't mention where they are fishing, some dick head will recognize the spot and post it in the comment section.

15. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Last year I saw a ranger writing tickets for cars on the road between the weir and the mouth.