Platte river coho

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Blue-fin, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

45 years ago the mouth of the Platte river moved, a LOT. Sometimes it went straight out, in line with the lowest stretch of river. Sometimes it veered north, or south. Sometimes it literally got closed from heavy waves and sand movement. Fishing was crazy back then, and a lot of times you knew where fish would be holding by the direction of the wind, waves, and the mouth as it entered the lake. Great times.

jumbojake, Hermin James and TK81 like this.
  2. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

If I recall the article, a conservation group hustled for the dig. Lets see what happens after it is removed. Could be a better situation to deepen the mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piscatorial warrior and rlbyfd like this.

3. SJC

SJC

$$$

4. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

"The purpose of this Platte River Mouth Restoration and Access Plan project is to restore fluvial geomorphic processes and the aquatic ecosystem functions to the mouth of the Platte River while maintaining recreational boat access to Platte Bay"

Ya know, all along I suspected it was to restore the fluvial geomorphic processes, but I didn't think anyone would believe me.:D

5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Aka...remove all unnatural things.

6. fisheater

fisheater

It’s pretty natural that mankind likes to fish. Don’t hate just because we out engineer beavers.

Salmonous Maximus and jumbojake like this.
  7. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

:lol:

8. Hermin James

Hermin James

I figured as much. The mouths of rivers that size seem to move a lot especially in the spring.

9. Slimits

Slimits

They spend so much time worrying about that stupid bird breeding grounds. I swear they put animals over people up there

10. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

After reading the Environmental Assessment of the Platte River Mouth Restoration and Access Plan a little more thoroughly, I have deduced the following, and will paraphrase forthwith.
    When they did all the dredging at the mouth, they piled the sand and gravel on both sides of the river, mostly the east side. They are proposing to remove the 11,000 cubic yards of dredge spoils, as well as an engineered structure that is buried there. The structures' original purpose was to supposedly keep the river mouth from veering East. This will allow the river mouth, the critters, and the vegetation to return to it's natural state. Amen.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  11. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

I liked it immensely more when they dredged.

jumbojake likes this.
  12. Fishndude

Fishndude

So, they are going to build a better-engineered structure than the one that nature buried? During record high water levels is probably the best time to do that.

13. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Going back to no structure probably...all as nature will and had produced....its a national park.....different set of priorities compared to state DNR or local.