Platte Bay Angler Access

Discussion in 'Cold Water Species Fishing' started by HeatherHettinger, Nov 17, 2016.

1. kroppe

kroppe

Heather, thanks for posting this and for your participation on the site.

What is the expected effect of alternative 2, on coho and chinook salmon spawning in the Platte River? Are there any effects of the plan on angler access to the Platte Bay fishery? Without dredging, how would anglers best access the Platte Bay fishery?

Thanks and I hope your Thanksgiving was enjoyable!

itchn2fish likes this.

2. toto

toto

I plan on being at the meeting on Dec 7th, I have some questions that need to be answered such as, what happened to the idea of building another launch somewhere else on Platte Bay. A couple of months ago they had, I believe, 4 plans in the works. I also know, that several years ago the park service had agreed to build another boat launch but that was never done. Heather, if you know Ed McIntosh, you could ask him about that.

itchn2fish likes this.
  3. Here are some answers for questions that have come up so far;

1.) Alternative 3 does provide for alternative access at Tiesma Road; basically a new seasonal boat launch would be constructed there, the launch at the river mouth would remain open but not dredged, and the spoils pile along the river mouth would be removed.

2.)Coho salmon migration really will not be impacted. Given the high water levels we have on Lake Michigan right now, there are no issues with coho getting into the Platte River, even without dredging. Even in recent years when we have had very low water levels, coho are still able to get themselves into the river system. Keep in mind that coho in their life history are tributary spawners, meaning they are programmed to squiggle themselves into very small, shallow bodies of water to complete their life cycle.

What the biggest issue here really is, is that safe angler access needs to be maintained. Not a giant boat launch, because that's not the draw of this location- its a small boat fishery, and thus it need to have safe access. DNR Fisheries Division has been working to try and boost the fishery in Platte Bay by stocking steelhead in the Platte River, brown trout near the mouth of the river, and working on details in the hatchery that help get better numbers of coho returning to the bay/river, so we really want to see angler access to the bay maintained as well! Its a unique fishery that creates such a cool opportunity for small boat angling.

3.) One thing to note is the DNR has stepped up and offered to help the Park maintain the dredging at the current site. It is a public body of water, but the land is under ownership of the Park- so activities like dredging fall on the Park. DNR Parks Division actually dredged in 2014, and we started to in 2016 until permit issues halted that project. Fish Division and Parks Division are willing to help maintain angler access by performing the annual dredging at the river mouth, so long as the Park allows us to do so.

We do agree with the Park that the current dredge pile needs to go; its not natural and piling the dredged sediment up there does interfere with the natural sediment transport along that beach, which contributes to the problems we have with access. If dredging is to continue at that site, we do agree that an alternate method of spoils disposal needs to be agreed upon, and that pile needs to be removed and restored.

Toto- Ed and I are in contact very frequently :)

Hope everyone had a very Happy Thanksgiving!

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. kroppe

kroppe

Thanks for the quick feedback Heather.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. MichMac

MichMac

I used to launch at the mouth of the Platte, but haven't in years. Many memories of battling browns, kings and cohos in Platte Bay. Hope to resume once I retire.

Would the proposed Tiesma Rd launch include a breakwall or jetty?

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. No, the NPS made it clear that they are not interested in constructing any type of wave attenuation structure like a break wall or jetty.

We hope you resume it as well- it's a tremendous fishery!

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. TK81

TK81

Heather,

Any updates on whether the Platte dredging will start back up? I was just there and the mouth is a mess. No problem for fish to get up, but I did not see one boat on the bay in the three days I walked out to the surf. Maybe a little early, but we always used to see several boats launching this time of year.

I did see the fresh plants. Holy cow. Quite impressive.

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. Not yet...We are in discussions with the Park Service right now as to what the plan for the fall MIGHT be. The mouth is pretty low right now, but there have been a few anglers in small boats targeting browns up there. They have been catching fish- but its definitely a bugger getting in and out of there right now.

9. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

Thank you for fighting for us Heather!

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. TK81

TK81

Any updates? I saw in another thread that someone mentioned it appeared there had been some dredging done. Have not been up yet this summer.

11. Nick109

Nick109

There has been no dredging at the mouth of the platte. Smaller boats up to 17' are getting out fairly easily currently. The water seems to be fairly deep near the mouth right now but that can change after every blow.

HeatherHettinger likes this.
  12. fisheater

fisheater

I am glad the state understands that Platte Bay does offer unique opportunities to small boat anglers. While I paddle and have no issues getting out or in, I sure do appreciate seeing a few boats out there. Never know when if nothing else, somebody hears my handheld radio and relays my message. Besides, you can't hear any chatter when you are the only one out.

HeatherHettinger likes this.
  13. The mouth of the Platte never gets dredged until the fall- when it is done it typically starts after Labor Day and continues depending on weather events. The Park Service is currently working on getting the permits amended so that we can dredge a little differently this fall...as of right now DNR does plan on completing the dredging, working alongside the Park Service as the landowners. Stay tuned...

slowpaya likes this.
  14. Jay Wesley

Jay Wesley

Platte River Mouth was dredged today. Coho going through while excavator was digging.

slowpaya likes this.