close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plate for boat trailer

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Ginweed, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Ginweed

Ginweed

I purchased a 1994 Lund from a buddy and he cannot find the title or a previous registration for the trailer. He's doesn't think that he ever registered the trailer with the SOS because he lived on a lake. What's the best way to get a license plate? Bill of sale and get the thing weighed without the boat?

2. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Should work that way, but check with the local SOS office, as different workers have different interpretations of what is "legal." Have sold a number of reconditioned trailers with just a bill of sale and not one buyer has come back with a complaint.

If it has a MI registration number on the bow, even with an outdated sticker, it may still be in the SOS records.

Good luck.

3. piketroller

piketroller

When I moved to a Michigan 12 years ago and transferred everything from Indiana, the SOS said that the permanent plate served as the title to the trailer. I did have to get a letter from the manufacturer stating the weight of the trailer to submit along with the number stamped into the trailer. I’ve still hung onto my old expired Indiana trailer title in case I ever need to title and register it in another state.

4. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

Yes you will need the weight of the trailer. I bought a boat from Wisconsin and they do not title trailers there so in order to get a plate and a title I needed a bill of sale and the weight of just the trailer.

5. JetJockey13

JetJockey13

I bought a boat a few years ago from a coworker that was Delaware registered. The trailer never had to be registered there so there was no title. Michigan only required a bill of sale but they charged me for the "capacity" of the trailer (3100lbs) Unfortunately it was February when I registered the boat and trailer and couldnt get it off the trailer to have it weighed...paid probably $100 more than I should have but its done for forever.

Bill of sale and empty weight of trailer is all that should be needed.

Shoeman likes this.
  6. steeler

steeler

just bring every paperwork you have to the Secretary of State and they should be able to help you. Trailers also have a serial number somewhere on the frame which they will need.

7. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

You will likely need the trailer serial number when you go to insure boat and trailer with your agent.