Planting trees

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by lmholmes11, Jul 28, 2020.

1. lmholmes11

lmholmes11

My uncle wants me to plant a few hundred pine trees out at camp at some point this year. Is it too late to plant? Or, I should say when is the latest they should be planted by? Location is in Grayling. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I assume that you already have the tress that need to be planted? If not, I would wait until the fall.

Dish7 likes this.

3. lmholmes11

lmholmes11

No I don't have the trees yet. Okay I was wondering about the fall

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

The fall is a great time to plant. Just don't buy the trees until you are ready to plant.

2ESRGR8 and lmholmes11 like this.
  5. TexaMichigander

TexaMichigander

Plant safely in months that end in R. just keep them watered and wait it out unless they are in pots then you might be okay but with lack of rain I would wait.

2ESRGR8 likes this.
  6. sourdough44

sourdough44

Just before freeze up is a great time, early Nov or so.

aphess223 likes this.
  7. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

I discourage Fall planting any more. Unless there is a good steady snow pack all winter long, wind burn can easily kill fall planted conifer. When seedlings are not under snow, wind action will pull water from the needles. But if the ground is frozen, the roots can't pull in new water from the soil. I have seen plenty of survival problems on Fall projects over the years.

Now that 'plug' type stock is mostly available these days, that is bringing back Fall planting some. Plugs can be planted somewhat already loaded with water, particularly when sourced from nurseries that supply plugs in bundles of 25 plugs wrapped in a circle of cellophane / Saran wrap type material. These can be placed in shallow water immediately before planting and the plug will fully absorb all the water the soil can hold.

That is the only way I would recommend Fall planting, but even then Spring planting is still less of a risk. Fall planting _can_ work, but just has more risk.

brewster likes this.
  8. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

I have found if you water the tree in good and get the air pockets out you can be successful about any time. I planted trees in February one year when an order showed up later than expected. Winter is the hardest to plant with frozen ground, however all survived. I have had the worst luck in the fall. I have had great luck in the spring. I have also had good luck in end of June and beginning of July for some reason.