Planer board springs

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by DawnFishing, Jun 26, 2020.

1. DawnFishing

DawnFishing

Does anybody know if offshore makes a stronger spring for there tattle tale flags when I run my tadpoles the flags don't say up thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. FR8DAWG

FR8DAWG

There is a spring you can pick up at the hardware store that works much better IMO. I think it’s the Century C-73 if memory serves me correctly. Someone else will correct me if that’s wrong. It’s all I run on my boards and it works much better. I haven’t run tadpoles in years so can’t say for sure if flag will stay raised with a tadpole on.

scottyhoover likes this.

3. Dislocated Yooper

Dislocated Yooper

Funny I was just wondering this myself so I emailed Offshore. They said you can use the #3 tadpoles with the new version of the tattle flag. I guess there are more holes that allow for adjustment on the tension. Said the magnum size tadpoles would be pushing the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

I am sure Offshore has them , but Harbor freight has a whole box of similer size springs for cheap.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  5. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

I just outfitted my offshore boards with springs from Lowes. 1/4"×3 1/4"×.025 was the size.Ended up cutting them in half so I have light tension on the upper hole and heavy tension on the bottom hole . Will be running them with tadpoles and spoons tomorrow in the 2.5 mph range.I will give you a report on how they run. Definitely a stronger spring but not overly strong to not see the flag move on a light bite in the upper hole.

6. DawnFishing

DawnFishing

Thanks to all of you for the information I ordered new flags they have holes on the flags for more ajustments have a wonderful 4th and good luck fishing

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

Another thing you may want to do is store your boards with the flag up or springs removed ,for winter storage anyway. Those offshore springs just are not that strong and readily stretch.

8. DawnFishing

DawnFishing

9. Slimshady

Slimshady

BTW, you can make your own tattle flag systems for less than $5 for the pair. I also buy the springs from Home Depot, but you can also use rubber-bands, hair-ties or anything else that has some elastic to it. Instead of the wire running from the flag to the rear clip, I just use 65 lb braid. Works just as well. I have a pair that I bought and a pair that I made and the home-made ones are just as good, going on 6-7 years now. Remove the regular flag and put a small washer and a larger nylon washer between it and the board so that it can move easily. I think there are YT videos that show you the steps.