Plan B

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Flight of the arrow, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

So all this not driving here and there and how far I can and can’t drive nonsense made me go to plan B, have 2 local farm’s holding birds one I knew I could hunt and the other I hunted years ago for deer. I took a drive with the wife just now and made a phone call and gained permission to hunt the second farm also. Not many birds in my area but enough to get my fix, I won’t have a tag but young Flight will and that’s good enough for me. Just so happen there were 10 birds in the field of the second farm, 1 looked to be a good bird.
    Flight
    DABB826E-8E07-44E0-B00F-CFBD1D63F680.jpeg

2. old graybeard

old graybeard

3. retired dundo

retired dundo

Just cancel my season my best friend that had cancer die today.He was so excited about going. I evan put up two new blinds for him.Not legal but I was going to have him fill my tag to.But two weeks ago he got premonition not virus. Been in hospital last week .Worst was his wife and daughter could not see him.Today they let his wife in to say good buy he was compotes.Then they unplugged him.And Cant have a funeral.Imedeate family will be able to go to cemetery whe they bury him but have stay in there cars.Hunted fish with him for 50 years.Right now I feel like giving up all fishing and hunting.You can’t replace best friend

4. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

Never give up on what the great outdoors has to offer. not easy to deal with right now I'm sure but time does work wonders. If not this season then in the future go out and shoot one for your buddy.

5. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

Give it time, it will get better. When you do go out to the blind, set up an extra stool and cup of coffee. Have a good conversation with your friend, he'll be there with you.

6. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

That is really tough! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your buddy's family. So hard to lose anyone, let alone your best friend. I am not in your shoes, and everyone morns differently, but I know my best buddies would be pi$$ed if I didn't go out hunting or fishing because they passed away. And I know I would want my friends to go out and honor me best by getting a nice bird, shooting a dandy buck, or catching some great fish...remember our good times and put a smile on their face. But like I said, everyone has to handle things and do what's best for them. You be you! Again...sorry for your loss. Hang in there!

7. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Sorry for your loss, I'm sure he would want you to hunt, he will be there with you. He may send the biggest bird to u.get a full mount of it in his memory. I know how you feel, lost my grandmother last Saturday to the virus. I felt the same way, I was fishing and could not even enjoy myself with everything that is going on, can't go to the rack shack for turkeys. My best crappie spot is closed for virus. So going to hunt down here, took a walk to scout yesterday. Heading back today to get a couple of brush blinds ready. Felt good to be in the woods, good luck to you and all my ms brothers.

8. retired dundo

retired dundo

Thanks everyone for your kind words.lot of great guys on this sight.I real feel bad that they can’t have a funeral.I know it would help his wife and daughter.When this virus **** is over they will have a funeral mass for him and big memorial for him and family

9. old graybeard

old graybeard

I lost my best friend and hunting partner and know first hand how hard it is to deal with. Life goes on and he would be the first to tell you that. You will find a way to honor him and a way to take him. Along with you. For me I made sure when I knocked an arrow on my string it. Was one from his quiver. The day I sent one through the chest of a deer I set in my stand and cried like a baby. I got clouser on that day. Best of luck you will be fine.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  10. Dish7

Dish7

Truly sorry for your loss. OGB already touched on it. I think you should continue on as a way to honor your friend. Any friend that you have hunted and fished with for that long would want that.

11. retired dundo

retired dundo

His wife said later in may she wants me Tate her out to blind and sit with a camera and try take a picture of a turkey her husband would have shot.So we will camera hunt

12. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

My dad passed away just over 8 years ago, we were never close as adults, as a young hunter who loved to deer hunt my dad only took me 2 times before I could drive on my own and he went hunting every fall with his buddies. After he retired he bought a boat and we perch fished as much as we could together, he would go turkey hunting every spring and would come home empty handed so we went turkey hunting together and I called in the only bird he ever kill. I got 3 turkey season with my dad and had our tags for our forth before cancer took his life, then I sat on my butt for three springs and didn’t go because I missed him and gave it up, he wouldn’t have wanted it that way........nor would your best friend. Grieving is all part of the process and time will make things better but don’t make the same mistake that I made and lose more than a good friend, get out in that blind and relive your past hunts together and maybe shoot that bird in his honor. I’m very sorry for your lose.
    Flight

13. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

I know that loss RD, and i feel for ya. I carry a momento of my buddy who died far to young (mid forties) several years ago. Whether it’s an old hat, a picture etc. when I screw up I can hear him telling me what I did wrong in that nasty tone he would use :mad: When I do good I hear him say why didn’t you do that last time...:rolleyes: it’s hard but yeah he is out there with ya and always will be - could be a gust of wind, a twig breaking or even a bird that gets a little closer than it normally would. He would want you out there - for the both of you. Good luck and go get ‘em!!

14. retired dundo

retired dundo

They sure are with you.My brother died five years ago we hunted together for fifty years.He never wanted me and our other friend to shoot small bucks or does.The first time I sat in his blind I was just practicing aim at small buck and wheel broke on office chair and scared it.Next night put new office chair I had in the blind and was just aiming at a doe and whole leg holding chair broke.Same night our friend was in tent blind on four foot platform,He was screwing around aim at doe and whole tent started shaking and there was no wind,That shook us up never aimed at another doe or buck since.I actually started getting nicer bucks every year he would approve of.

Carpenter Bill and MISTURN3 like this.