Pitbulls ... again

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by yoopertoo, Aug 4, 2020.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The attacking dog was out of control. Had I been carrying I likely would have shot it.

jiggin is livin and sureshot006 like this.
  2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Dog lines are bred to enhance a an instinct. Labs haul stuff around and often retrieve naturally. Some dogs point with no training. Aussies and Borders often herd things of their own accord. What is it Pit Bulls were bred for?

yoopertoo, Dish7, Bob D and 2 others like this.

3. John Hine

John Hine

Digging pits?

yoopertoo, sureshot006 and Nostromo like this.
  4. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Terrier's right?

So-hooked and John Hine like this.
  5. So-hooked

So-hooked

Staffordshire terriers where are a cross between fox terriers and bulldogs. When we see our current one get a squirrel, she shakes'um like no tomorrow. Even throwing them up in the air and catching them with great accuracy.

6. junkman

junkman

My two had perfected catching squirrels.The One really liked walking around with a very much so alive squirrel in her mouth.They could catch them without hardly getting a scratch on them selves .The first time they got one the both of them were a bloody mess.

capper likes this.
  7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

yoopertoo likes this.
  8. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Well, he was a clown so.....

Nostromo likes this.
  9. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

When we lived in town Lucy( half pit) liked chasing and treeing squirrels. She caught one one time in about 6 inches of snow. Pounced right on it and trapped it in the snow and she was totally confused like where did it go? Before she could do anything it got away

Now that we are in the country she keeps her self entertained trying to be a rabbit dog. She hasn’t figured out they circle back eventually. If I had worked with her as a pup she could have been a good hunting dog. Today while on the chain she chased one into the field. The lab the hero that he is came running up from behind with a bone in his mouth. He then went to the last know location of the rabbit like he was on a mission. He then promptly peed right where the rabbit was sitting. Good job gunner that will show em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiggin is livin likes this.
  10. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

We had, (past tense) two Maremma/Great Pyrenees crosses. They are livestock guardian dogs, not really pets so much. Beautiful dogs, very good at their job, too good. No stranger or any other dog could be near the herd or barn. Zero give up in them when it came to defense. The female was a little over 100 lbs and the male was pushing 150. Even though we researched the heck out of it and talked with other owners we could never normalize them to strangers. It was a lawsuit waiting to happen, took almost a year but found them a more suitable farm. That duo would have went up against any of the aforementioned dogs without hesitation. If you are hunting out west and come across a herd of sheep or goats with LGD's guarding it is best to give them a wide berth.

11. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Rope dangling

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+pit+bull+rope

12. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

The important take away there is the inbred instinct in dogs is incredibly powerful. In truth once it kicks in they are overcome with the absolute need to act out the behavior they have bred in them. Owners can't "love" and "socialize" the instinct out of them.

on a call likes this.
  13. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

True. But you can train them to control it. Or should I say you can trick them into allowing you to control it. I've seen quite a few untrained pit's. I've seen two which were being trained for IPO. They both displayed the perfect heel eyes on the handler behavior of a dog under the handlers control.

Sadly, those two handlers were a rarity.

14. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Not exactly ... the dog is not really controlling one instinct as much as it is following another for the moment.

You can have two inbred instincts in conflict. Dogs are domesticated and trainability has been bred into them as well as work instincts. Dogs don't behave because they "love" their owner and are able to exercise self control. They behave because they are pack animals and humans can fill that role.

Which instinct wins out depends a lot on the situation.