Pin Rod Questions

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by RiverWallies101, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RiverWallies101

RiverWallies101

Hi guys I am new to center pin fishing and am torn between getting an 11"6 or 13"6. I do most of my steelhead fishing on the white and grand so ideally I would like to have one of each. Due to the fact that I do not have enough money for one of each I was just looking for some input on what I should get. So the question is would I be better off fishing a rod a little to short on the grand or a rod to long on the white? Also if anyone has a pin rod for sale I would be very interested, my budget is about $200.
    Thanks- pete

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Pete, first of all let me welcome you to a great source of info.:Welcome: I too would be torn on the size, everyone says big river big rod, small river small rod, but that is not always the case. If you are strictly bank/wade fishing then I would go with the old adage, but since you are asking for 1 rod for two different types of rivers, I think I would go with the longer of the two rods. If you do a lot of boat fishing then the shorter would work just fine. There is one other option that you might look at, the Shimano Clarus comes in a 11' and 13' version and normally you can find them for about $99 so you would have the two different rods and still stay in your budget. They are not the best rods in the world but will do a fine job if used right. The 13' version was my first back up rod for Salmon and I still have and use it each year. The Clarus also is a sliding ring type rod and gives you a chance to experiment with reel placement for your most comfortable feel of a rod.

D

3. slightofhand

slightofhand

Agree with flyrodder. Clarus is a great value to get your feet wet. If you decide to continue on with pin Fishing then you can certainly move up to a better rod. I have a few 11’6 and some 13’s and use them in both situations. Longer rod makes a huge difference in mending and float control. But the 11’6 is so nice and light and easy to work with in tight brush. Depends on your cast too if you like to swing big or pitch it and what kind of overhead or rear obstructions you have. Good luck you will love it once you get the hang of it

4. wyandot

wyandot

Start with the longer one. If it's too long for the smaller streams, it'll get shortened up real quick.

5. RiverWallies101

RiverWallies101

Thanks for the input guys. I have heard a lot about the clarus but they seem to be hard to find.

6. RobW

RobW

Looks like they are part of salmon fishing history now... [​IMG]