Pike and Barometric Pressure

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by Outdoorsman1997, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:39 PM.

1. Outdoorsman1997

Outdoorsman1997

Just curious on everyone’s experience on the impact barometric has on the number of flags you get. In my experience rising pressure is definitely better but the bite seems to be far more consistent independent of barometric pressure compared to the panfish bite

TK81 likes this.
  2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss

I've usually had success more with time, and location,more than pressure. But fish are weird. Just use hotdogs like everyone else and rake em in I guess. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. RLWagner

RLWagner

Barometric is an excuse.

Yes High-pressure compresses air blatter an# may make fish less active but.....

toppm, zer0 and Outdoorsman1997 like this.
  4. zer0

zer0

Always blame the barometer.
    If the bite is good, or bad.

5. C20chris

C20chris

Barometric pressure is pretty straightforward to understand as it relates to fish biology.

Another question... does the lunar "major" and "minor" times actually equate to more or less fish strikes. I know I can fish the same area all day and there will be an hour or a couple hours of nothing then all of a sudden 3 or more flags will fly within a few minutes... never thought to document it to confirm trends.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

toppm and Outdoorsman1997 like this.
  6. mjh4

mjh4

It not only effects fish but just about every animal as well. If you start keeping track it's amazing how accurate it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

Yeah, it is funny. I've been living at our cabin for a couple months, and keep bird feeders filled. Birds, and Squirrels hit the feeders heavily at times, but there are hours during the day when there is literally no action at the feeders at all. And an hour later, there will be dozens of birds, and a dozen Squirrels feasting. There are definitely Major, and Minor feeding periods for wildlife in any given day. Animals, and fish seem to be very actively feeding ahead of storm fronts.

Go Lions!!!! likes this.
  8. Overdraw

Overdraw

Barometer.png

If you're waiting for the "Perfect Conditions", ie a rapid rise.
    YOU ARE MISSIN SOME FISHIN.

Most of the time when you have a storm front coming in and a rapid pressure change. I've only noticed a small window when the fish lose their minds. I'm sure others have had different experiences.

TK81 and Carpenter Bill like this.
  9. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Not too many consistencies that I have noticed when it comes to pike. That can bite at any time and in all conditions. It is strange that when fishing a big spread, flags usually seem to come in flurries. You'll sit for a couple of hours without anything then 2 or 3 will pop in a matter of minutes. I do seem to have the best luck on days with intermittent sunshine. If it's an overcast day and the sun pops out, almost always triggers flags. And in our circles, we always talk/joke about the 10:00 bite. You can get a flurry at any time, but I personally think 9:00-11:00 are the best two hours of the day for catching pike. And 1:00-4:00 seems to be the worst. Even on good days, things really seem to slow down in the mid-afternoon. And I really like the last hour of light on days that have been very bright/sunny. Thes are all my own thoughts with absolutely no scientific data or statistics to support my claims;)

10. BUCK/PIKE

BUCK/PIKE

We have very similar results.i usually fish with a few people these days so we usually have a large spread also.we definitely talk about the famous 10 oclock run,its legit Lol.
    I like mornings best i agree 9-11 can be hot but have caught them at all times.
    Ive also had alot of action at 1st light and again just before dark.
    Flurry of flags also happens also pretty common to have 2-3 flags within minutes.
    Like the 10 oclock run we fish near some railroad tracks and its almost comical when we hear the train whistle its like a fish whistle flags seem to pop...probably just coincidence.

Esquire likes this.
  11. Bucman

Bucman

I've heard of the fish whistle technique before!:rolleyes:

toppm, Fishfighter, hoffmandu and 3 others like this.
  12. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

I was just going to type nearly this exact same thing until I read your post.

I love pike tip-ups on partly cloudy days. Almost don’t even have to look around when the clouds cover the sun, but within moments of the sun breaking through, it’s time to give them a glance, because that’s almost always when they trigger in my experience.

BUCK/PIKE and Go Lions!!!! like this.
  13. Rainman68

Rainman68

I'll take a falling barometer anytime I'm trying to get them to bite, but when I'm out to bite them it doesn't matter;)

14. ice ghost

ice ghost

I’ve seen guys fire up a joint to make flags fly. It’s amazing what can happen next. People start running around dropping their chips and hamburgers trying to get out there. I’m not condoning this in any way. Just an honest observation

15. Fishndude

Fishndude

I used to use my "Deer-mometer," when driving to Tippy Dam to fish for Skamania Steelhead in the summer. I almost always drove north at night, and when I was traveling along M-115, and M-55, if I saw a lot of deer, I was going to hook a lot of fish. If I only saw a few deer moving, I'd catch a few fish. No deer, no fish.

But I typically stayed for a few days, and usually caught enough fish to make it fun. ;)