Pier kings

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by salmon_slayer06, May 9, 2018.

1. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

anyone getting any kings off the piers right now?

2. snootman

snootman

I've seen a couple taken online so far this year just on spawn. The pod is in the lower end of the lake still but the water temp is rapidly rising. Bait will show any day now just in mornings.

3. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I'm hoping the south winds continue and northeast stay away

4. southshore

southshore

I fished MIchigan City yesterday by boat. My best fish of the day hit as I was crossing into the mudline right outside the piers at noon. Bait was stacked in piles in the dirty water. N/NE forecast for the next week straight unfortunately. Next decent day off I get I’m going to out with light tackle and fishing ales and chucking spoons either from a pier or drifting in the boat.

Nostromo, Doghouse 5 and Sprytle like this.
  5. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Thanks for the info. The northern ports just don't produce anymore. The fishing on those piers sucks and not worth wasting my time on 1-2 kings a season. Even the steelhead fishery is going quickly up there. The water just doesn't hold the fish. They only migrate through there.

6. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I can't take it. I might have to dust off the pier gear and give her a shot this weekend. The st joe local boys will have to make some more room the word is out.....

7. snootman

snootman

Did you ever end up going? It's over down there now that the water temp climbed so fast... Sheepdogs and cats now.

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

I'm hearing about lots of Kings @ St Joe.

9. BigJoe90

BigJoe90

Usually by the time you hear it, you're a day late

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I didnt go past weekend didnt feel all that great. At least bait is around id like to get some alewives and freeze them for later use...

ausable_steelhead likes this.
  11. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

I want to get into pier fishing this summer. I live just south of Baldwin, so I am pretty close to some good piers. Any good advice to start out with?

12. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

Sure, watch the water temps and the wind forecast. When you get a north or east wind forecasted, get that day off of work.

Float some shrimp under a bobber, or catch some alewives and get them near the bottom.

Depending on where you are, summer steelhead and some of their chrome cousins are around when the water temps are 50-60F.

If you have a nice balmy warm day with gentle cooling breezes coming off the lake and the water temps are higher, you can kick back with a brewski and some worms and pick up some cats and sheeps on the inside for fun :). If it's slow, the kids can put on some smaller hooks and worms, and see who can feed more gobies to the seagulls.....

nichola8 and jmaddog8807 like this.
  13. nichola8

nichola8

Like scads... said, just your simple river rods and reels with a bunch of 10-14# mono or braid. Search around on here for the pier rigs, some guys posted pics. Honestly the best way is to just run a sinker slide, catch some alewives with a sabiki rig and launch it out on the lake side. While those rods are chilling ask to see someone's bobber/shrimp set-up, maybe take a pic and you will be all set. When I first started fishing the pier nobody could explain the bobber set up good enough to me online....you kinda just gotta see it in person. Then ya if the forescast is showing North, Northeast, or East winds for anything longer than 2 days....go. Typically it takes a good 2 days for the water to flip and for the fish to push up. https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//res/glcfs/

14. toto

toto

One bit of advice, don't use braid, quick way to make enemies if there's others fishing. Braid will cut off mono so fast, and if someone gets a nice fish and runs across the braid, game over.

15. ajc1

ajc1

I'm trying to put some Alewife in the freezer for Kings when they run in the fall. no bait around Grand Haven I was wondering where they are showing up on the piers we're at.