Pier Kings 2020

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by sideshow, Aug 17, 2020.

1. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

This*** I’m as wreckless as they come.. flipped a kayak in 38°Water out there.. got caught in a huge storm that dumped 5.5” of rain in 8hrs (while I was 5mi out). Been carried out 1/2mi a rip current while swimming .. no pfd
    But the piers are stupid dangerous . Slick with algae and the channel currents have been strong..
    I’m as tough(stupid) as they come but the piers are asking for trouble.. when a wave or a good king bite can throw you off balance and potentially put you in the drink it’s time to analyze what it’s all worth....

Dixiedog and eggfly like this.
  2. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Here is my report from today, the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend. Often the peak of participation in the Chinook Salmon fishery in my hometown.

The score was Fish 16, Fishermen 0. That means those wily Chinook convinced a peak of about 16 of us to try catching one, but no one did, at least before 9 am, when I went off to w**k.

The winds this past week made the pier here un-fish-able for several days, but more importantly stacked up warm water on the Manistee/Benzie shore line area and I think this is slowing the incoming mature fish. There was a good push last weekend. Ludington had a much better one.

This pier fishery is now too small to engage in secrecy and deception trying to keep people from participating in it, something I have seen in this thread over the last week. There was a post so bad, I initially thought the poster (an expert in this fishery I admired very much) was drunk, or had been hacked. I now know it was a deliberate attempt to keep people from going fishing last Sunday. That is total bullsh*t. The Lake Michigan fishery needs all the fishermen, and thus support, it can get. Trying to discourage people from it ... WHY? So there is that much of a better chance for you to catch a fish to come back here and brag about? So there are only 6 people on the pier instead of 10?

I know the true intent of the post because I also received a PM telling me not to post a report "until after the flip."

I went along with the idea at first, thinking, wow, fishing pressure must be crazy bad again. I was out of town for all of Chinook season last year, so I don't know how things have been going. I was only able to fish a few hours anyway, and left before anyone caught anything on Sunday - 3 fish total, I heard later.

I heard there were 25 people @ Frankfort one night this past week. I would trace that to being the closest pier to Traverse City maybe, the population of which has probably trebled in my lifetime. I don't know if 25 is too many out there. It is not, where I live. When I learned to catch these fish, there were scores of people fishing on the Saturday of Labor Day wknd.

I live in a tourist town and everyone who lives here wants people to come here and fish. We all know that some of our friends, family, and neighbors have their bread buttered by the tourism business. Our north pier is still in very good shape, without algae problems in this high water era, and there is always plenty of room on it to fish. A few locals might say the word 'tourist' in a grumbly way once in a while, but we all know that we have 5 extra chances to hit the perfect conditions, compared to most from out of town who are likely to only have 2 such chances. It might get a little full on a Saturday in October for the fresh Steelhead, especially around the magical 2nd ladder everyone has heard about, but fishing is often just as good out a little deeper. The one thing no one in Manistee wants is for someone to be running around telling lies about some good fishing conditions, especially someone who doesn't live here.

I will note that I now believe the salmon rivers to our immediate north and south probably get better runs these days, because they have much smaller river mouth lakes and thus more smolts probably make it out into The Lake as a result. Part of our reproduction is used elsewhere, too, of course, so Manistee kind of takes one for the team in that regard, which is perfectly OK with everyone here too. This is just my theory on why there are so many more reports from the 2 adjacent systems than there are from here. That is my honest take on fish #s.

It was said on here this week that no one should wait for someone on the Internet to say "It's ON! Quit your day jobs, buy a license for Cousin Lou, and get fishn'!" If you want to catch a King Salmon off a Lake Michigan pier, you should become a student of the "flip", and do your level best to fish it when it happens, if you can swing that with the other things going on in your life.

For the next few months though, that will become less important. Mature Kings will continue to trickle in to Manistee, followed by less predictable pods of Coho and then the first Steelhead in 3-4 weeks or so. There is a strong chance for a strong rain tomorrow, Sunday, followed by a cloudy looking week with some interesting winds mid-week in the current forecast. Those are all good pieces of news for a hoped for new "push." Does that mean you should drive overnight Wednesday for a guaranteed "King" ? - No.

Last Tuesday, I saw a pretty cool thing out on the pier around Midnight. A pair of brothers from downstate, highly experienced chasers of the Steel, brought their 4 sons up to Manistee to introduce them to catching a fresh Chinook Salmon. And one of the fathers had success in that quest within about 30 minutes of starting. The four boys were excited, and amazed.

That's the kind of thing I want to see happen on my pier, which is still a very good place to bring kids. I don't believe that if I were to post a picture of a fish I caught on my pier, it would suddenly become overrun with hordes to the point of un-fish-ability. So I also know that one very bad post probably didn't sway anyone from not going fishing last weekend.

But I never want to see a post like that on here ever again. I have gone round and round in my head about what to do about that post, so here ya go. I am tired of even thinking about it.

3. jatc

jatc

I caught my first steelhead and king off the “North Wall” a long time ago. I was seven and it was the early 80’s. Labor Day weekends always found us staying at Orchard Beach and fishing hard for three days every year.

What I remember, other than the crazy numbers of fish caught out there every day regardless of the weather, was the crowds. It was literally like a carnival out there. Guys lined up from the beach to the lighthouse, often times the river side too, and many people just watching the show.

Anybody remember the food truck selling danishes and coffee in the parking lot?

Last year, after too many years of not fishing the wall, i decided to try it again. Knowing the fish numbers are much lower I was hoping for a flip the day I had a chance to go, but alas it wasn’t to be. My son and I were out there anyway with about a dozen guys pitching spoons one night at the end of the wall and two guys came out just b******* about how “the social media has ruined another fishing spot” and how crowded it was.

I just laughed and said you should have been here forty years ago!

Dixiedog, snootman, fisheater and 3 others like this.
  4. skagitmaster

skagitmaster

I’m ok with company. I’ll help if asked. I’ve given away lures and fish while out there. What is tiring is the frequency and level of jackassery. The photos are the same evening taken within an hour of one another. Yes, those are two different guys fishing between my two set rods. One of the guys tangled one of my rods, set the hook and hit my rod with his, and was upset when I asked him to move...and we were the only two people fishing on GH’s north pier!! There is almost zero common courtesy anymore on piers or anywhere else for that matter. Trying to camouflage reports to minimize encounters with idiocy is understandable but to no avail.

Attached Files:

6667supersport and Glock1911 like this.
  5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Was on lud. pier w one other guy....he was casting a bit down from his bucket....I put a rod holder by his bucket and started setting my rods w spawn. He comes over and said "can't you see I'm fishing there?" I bit my tongue and moved the one holder down a bit and a few minutes later got hit and landed a nice steel. He got pissed and packed up and left. Karma sucks dude....hopefully the morons subside.

6. MPOW

MPOW

in the 80's Port Sanilac pier would have hundreds of people fishing.....many, many fish were caught day and night and a good time was had by all.....those were the hey day....i lived it:D

7. crystalflash

crystalflash

Ah yes, from 1977 to 83 I couldn’t get the key turned fast enough or early enough at the local tackle store in Sanilac. Folks waiting in the lot getting ready for first light, some folks re-stocking from a full night of pounding the water. Couldn’t keep Ping AT’s, 3/4 oz glow spoons or North Port Nailers on the wall. Floating skein and jigging Swedish pimples. Everyone did there thing and got along. Memerable time in my life. Saw the fishery come and go.....different now but bouncing back a bit. Just a mixed bag now.

8. MPOW

MPOW

was that your little store? those small bags of skein were awesome. almost lost more than one rod getting dragged off the pier as my bobber swam away....learned to catch the females....borax and cherry jello....4 to 6 feet down under a bobber....and LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:bouncy:

9. crystalflash

crystalflash

No the owner was Dennis Schomer. He worked day and night at the shop. Finally he started talking some time off. I’d work 3 days a week for him and a few days a week at another tackle store in St. Clair while in HS and college and fishing. Denny was my Best man at my wedding. Seems so long ago. I remember a time before Kings. It all got started with the browns and steelhead and perch in the summer. In fact I can still remember the first king we saw come in the shop. From there it ramped up to a world class fishery for a few years. Yes back then we went through eggs like crazy. Don’t how many hours I spent curing up, tieing and putting eggs in zip lock bags. When we got low, he would send me to the Harbor and I wasn’t allowed back until I replenished the stock. Lol. The town was alive 24/7, by the end of October it back to a quite little town. I haven’t fish the Sanilac pier in over 30 years now. Great times.

10. MPOW

MPOW

I declared at the the time....THE COLEMAN LANTERN.....one of God's GREATEST creations!!! LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!....and it was!.....I love the smell of big Kings in the harbor!!!;):)

11. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

White gas?

MPOW likes this.
  12. MPOW

MPOW

yes:D

13. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

383DDEF0-8866-425B-8ADA-92BFC7799D27.jpeg The fish of a thousand casts now. 17#

That was a bit of luck last night. Wanted to try out my new rain coat - 3/4 length Helly Hansen. Finally a perfect combo with hip boots. Green, too, for sneaking up on the Brookies. And rugged enough for bushwhacking.

The word of the day in my harbor this morning was ‘slow’. We have the compass points we want on the wind, but not quite enough oomph behind it. Water in 60s for a while yet.

There are some sweet spots on the temp map though.

Was fishing all alone at a little inland bridge yesterday, standing on the shore at the corner, basically. These 2 young guys walked up, stood on the bridge, and dropped bobber 15 feet directly in front of me. The only upside to people like that is they have no patience and they soon move on. A couple lawn chairs and repeated drifts there would have probably caught some fish, but I still have that damn w*rk to deal with.

jeffm, Scottygvsu, JohnP123 and 9 others like this.
  14. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

15. tneering

tneering

Any word on piers? Literally nothing for me off piers lately. I like ludington.