Pier Casting Setup

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by steelyspeed, Aug 12, 2020.

1. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Should I buy a certain model and have you work it over ? Or do you already have most of the components ? I still have my Shimano bass reel that needs some and my two musky/sturgeon revo toro's that could really use a going thru.

2. 6667supersport

6667supersport

This Nov/Dec I am going to cast with my light rod a lot for walleye in the SCR, hoping to catch a musky on the rod. Have already caught 3 last year on 5lb braid casting for walleye on my regular medium rods. From the 3 I caught it would be very doable, or I wouldn't even attempt it.

3. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Your right, if your fighting a fish for a long time and your drag is a-buzzen, it will be toast in short order. Need a reel with a good drag system, more than anything else. If you use light line your drag will be a-buzzen.

tincanary likes this.
  4. tincanary

tincanary

Above all, you need a greased drag. That's what keeps it from burning out. The only manufacturer I'm aware of that ships reels with a greased drag is Daiwa. Everybody else ships them dry. A few good blistering runs on a dry drag and you can probably see smoke lol

5. Jesse E.

Jesse E.

Man, this reminds me of my first salmon trip up North. Platte Bay back in β€˜96. I went with my Uncles, and all I had was a 6’ ML ugly stick, a Daiwa Reel with 6# Berkeley XL. First fish I hooked into and landed was 20# King. That bad boy ran a lot of line out, but man was it a blast. I learned a lot on that trip...like the importance of a good knot. I specifically remember casting a blue/silver Cleo out, and that bad boy went a good 100 yards out. I thought β€œman what a cast!” but then realized it was no longer on the end of my line. Lost a few other fish to bad knots as well.

6. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

Pfleuger greases them
    Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Whitetail_hunter and tincanary like this.
  7. tincanary

tincanary

Good point. Strange that Abu doesn't considering the both owned by Pure Fishing.

8. 6667supersport

6667supersport

My Pflueger Patriarch 30 has probably caught over 30 Kings, still going strong. The one night I caught 5, they had the split ring egg shaped they were pulling so hard :lol:. But funny you say that, more than once while holding the rod up, with the butt of the rod flat against my forearm for leverage, I look right at the reel as they go on a blistering run, thinking the reel is gonna explode one of these times.

9. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

I used to be an Abu fan but when I bought my first Pfleuger it was all over. I need to get a bigger one for salmon since I'm going to be fall pier fishing again. I haven't done it in 20 years.

10. tincanary

tincanary

You could get a little more drag performance out of it fairly easy. The drag washers are sandwiched in between metal washers which usually have a less than ideal finish. If you polish the metal washers to a mirror shine, it'll smooth out the drag a bit more. They're easy to get to on the Patriarch since they're located inside of the spool. Under the drag knob there should be a wire circlip that you remove and that will let you remove the drag stack to give it a little attention. I wouldn't say it's a required thing to do, but it could prove helpful for a hot king.

11. tincanary

tincanary

Most of the Pflueger and Abu reels aside from the Swedish made Ambassadeurs use a lot of the same guts. If it's a Korean made reel, it came from the Doyo factory. If it's Chinese, it came from the Haibo factory. Both Doyo and Haibo OEM for most every manufacturer out there that isn't Shimano or Daiwa. Additionally, Banax is another Chinese OEM that builds for Quantum and Okuma. The more familiar brands will simply pick their parts out of a catalog, add a few touches to differentiate from other models, slap their logo on, and off it goes for sale.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    fisheater, 6667supersport and TK81 like this.
  12. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

Just like anything else anymore. Same parts different format.

13. tneering

tneering

Where do you plan on going? I'm from bay city to

14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Tincan
    You know your stuff regarding fishing reels and offer insight to the fine details. I want to put you on the spot! I would like your recommendation for a 50-75 dollar reel both casting and spinning.
    Will be using them for salmon, steelhead, trout exclusively.
    Don't want to break the bank and am interested in what brand has the best value. Pfgueger, Abu, Shimano,Okuma offer different levels of reels at different price points but maybe the internals are the same. A lot of products, especially those manufactured in Asia, are basically the same but sold under different names. Maybe the reel industry operates the same.
    Your best value for casting reels..............?
    Your best value for spinning reels...................?
    Thanks for input.

tincanary likes this.
  15. tincanary

tincanary

Casting reel, Daiwa Fuego CT. These are sold regularly at Amazon for $75ish. Best casting reel under $100 bar none. I own a couple and they are my workhorses. It's my "go everywhere" reel. I love my Abus too, but these guys are 4oz+ lighter and much more comfy to fish. Aluminum frame, outstanding braking system, good line capacity, and a lighter weight. Most casting reels at this price point get you a finicky braking system and a graphite frame. The main thing about the Fuego, it's almost identical to the Tatula CT, but ~$40 cheaper. The only differences between the two is that you get the T-wing aperture with the Tatula and 2 more ball bearings which are located in the handle. That's it, other than that, they are identical. I like the plain round aperture myself since it passes leader knots much easier.

Spinning reel, Daiwa Revros LT 4000. However, if you are patient, the Daiwa BG can be had on sale occasionally at the $75 price point which is a far superior reel, otherwise it runs around $100. The BG gives you a metal frame, better drag, and fully sealed internals. I gifted a friend a BG 3000 last year. He has fished everything with it, from bass and salmon to inshore species when he was in Florida earlier this year.

These are all reels I have direct experience with. Daiwa, in my opinion, is at the top of the game at this point in time. It seems Daiwa, Abu, and Shimano all trade punches back and forth as to who makes better products at any given time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Gone Coastal, -db-, ongo and 2 others like this.