close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pics of Giganteus Miscanthus

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by roostersbane, Sep 11, 2011.

1. roostersbane

roostersbane

Here's some pics of 4yrs of Gig Misc with weed control, planted from rhizomes:
    Year 1
    [​IMG]
    Year 2

[​IMG]
    Year 3
    [​IMG]
    Year 4
    [​IMG]

My big helper is 48" on the button. If you want a 6-8' wall in 2yrs...plant em on 2' centers in good soil and give great weed control...they'll hammer. They stand with leaves until Christmas and then the stalks stand all year.

Now heres the same rootstock, 4yrs old, with only the first yr of weed control:

[​IMG]

cakebaker, wildthing and LSCflatsman like this.
  2. homegrownbucks

homegrownbucks

Looks great, what did you do for weed control?

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It looks very impressive; great job. Where did you get your rhizome stock?

4. marksman72

marksman72

It makes a great screen and cover...looks good!

5. Airoh

Airoh Premium Member

That looks excellent.

6. GettinBucky

GettinBucky

That looks great....I've thought of planting some at my property for a screen also. We have some planted in our landscaping at home and thought of "transplanting" some of it.

My fear with it is how fast this stuff spreads......how much ground will it spread to in 10 years.....? Might be a whole lot of work to kill it back to the area you want it in.

Anyone have any experience with any large plantings of this stuff?

7. roostersbane

roostersbane

Weed control: I spray with round-up in early spring before they send up shoots. Then 24d once or twice until I start seeing grasses. Then I spray with RU again...carefully. As they get older this 2nd RU spray gets easier as there is not much green down low.

Rhizomes: Came from a lady out east...I don't think she sells anymore. She was a retailer (and related I think) to Kurt Bluemel, a famous horticulturist. This year I went with plugs from New Energy. Not impressed...about 1/3 of the plugs looked bad (no green) and never did sprout. On the other hand they sorta bent some rules to get me the plugs.

8. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

Have no fear about it spreading. They will only spread out one foot per year radially from the original planting. If you ever tire of them you can sell off tubers in the Spring, as this plant will become more popular in the future. If you want to kill them off, just spray with roundup in June.

" The miscanthus genotype with the greatest biomass potential is a sterile,hybrid (Miscanthus x giganteus) likely of M. sacchariflorus (tetraploid) and M. sinensis sinensis (diploid) parentage.
    The cross between the tetraploid and diploid produces a triploid which is unable to produce viable seed.
    Both M. sacchariflorus and M. sinensis have escaped cultivation and can be invasive in the landscape.
    Because Miscanthus x giganteus hybrids are unlikely to produce seed they are less likely to be invasive than other varieties."

I have bought from Lacy Creek Growers in the one gallon division. These are big tubers obtained in the spring and planted 4 to 6 inches deep. The sold out of them in the spring but will likely have some to order early next spring. I would recommend the one gallon divisions over the 1/2 gallon divisions in quantity they are $5 and $2.50, respectively, and much cheaper the more you get. Each of the gallon tubers sent up three shoots early in the summer, but then doubled or tripled the number of shoots during the summer.

http://lacycreekgrowers.com/misc_gig.php

I have also bought from Santa Rosa Gardens in Florida when they were on sale in four inch grower pots. These I only bought when they went on sale a couple times for as little as $3.00 apiece. These were considerably smaller in size but have grown quite nicely in the garden and also doubled and tripled their stems and tubers in the first year.

Plan on watering frequently during the first year and drastically keeping the grass and weed competition down. Highly recommended is preparing a place this fall to plant them next spring.

wildthing and LSCflatsman like this.
  9. GettinBucky

GettinBucky

Thank you for that info....

10. shady oaks

shady oaks

how easy is it to transplant these after the first year? Would the watering frequency be just as high due to transplanting?

11. roostersbane

roostersbane

12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Do you have any new pictures?

13. roostersbane

roostersbane

So the first is 5yrs growth early doe....then 4yrs octoberish...then the last pic is yday! I cut and burn it every yr cuz its on the border of my lawn.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Thanks. How tall does it get every years?