Pics from Outdoorama

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by J Eberhart, Mar 11, 2018.

1. J Eberhart

J Eberhart

The show wouldn't allow anything much higher due to liability.

jr28schalm likes this.
  2. J Eberhart

J Eberhart

Totally blows away any conventional stand of any type concerning potential opportunities. No contest!

jr28schalm likes this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Sorry for messing with your thread John, just been boring around here. I hope you keep on posting. I am definitely interested in your you tube videos coming out.

4. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

OMG Stick I am dying
    Of Laughter!
    My treestand hunting consists of ladder stands, thus my trophy wall can't hold a candle to mister E's!

Thanks for the laugh stick I needed it!:D

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

No problem Matt, I get bored easily so. I don't think anyone can compare walls to John. The man defiantly knows what he is doing.

mattawanhunter and jr28schalm like this.
  6. RMH

RMH Banned Premium Member

True story, I was looking for a 30+ footer. I did peek in just as you were starting your 12:00 seminar. I was heading out to catch up on some habitat work.

Sure does!!!

I had the pleasure spending the weekend with John last September on one of his 2017 Whitetail Bootcamps. It was time well spent. I would do it again if he would let me.:)

7. hunterrep

hunterrep

Tough to make a blanket statement like this. Just like your reply on another thread, I think it depends on the types of hunting you are doing. If you are a nomadic hunter like yourself, there is no question I would go with a harness system like this. Just makes too much sense and is a no brainer. But hunting my managed land, I can put out as many stands as I need and get in and out very easy. Not to mention when I have guests (which isn't often) or my sons come home to hunt (a little more often), these stands are just more appropriate. On my main farm I own, I have 15 stand sites on 43 acres and I leave roughly 25 acres as a sanctuary that is never entered or hunted. That sounds like a lot but I have it set up so in many cases, I can hunt the same stand site in almost any wind direction. Many stands are only 30-40 yards from each other. Just a different style of hunting. I wish I had the time to scout and hunt as you do, but I don't so I hunt the way I do and have become very proficient at it.
    By the way, I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge on here. Anybody that does your style of hunting would do very well to pay close attention to your information.

8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The most frequently cited benefits: light weight, high mortality.

9. JBDaddy

JBDaddy

Maybe, but nobody has posted a complaint of dying from one yet, so...

thill, redfish1 and jr28schalm like this.
  10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Benefit to high mortality....lol

L & O

11. thill

thill

Edit: I just caught it...your post now makes sense. :lol:

Not sure if you're implying they are safe or dangerous, but I can tell you first hand it would be extremely difficult to fall out of the kestel on purpose. Aside from hunting with both feet on the ground, the kestrel is the next safest option.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    jr28schalm and stickbow shooter like this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Pretty cool , that flailing around upside down. Yea that would be me. Lol. I better stick to the ground.

Doghouse 5 and jr28schalm like this.
  13. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Probly work great with a ravin..lol

stickbow shooter likes this.
  14. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I can see it now. I am hanging upside down passed out when a group of Hispanic hikers find me and say, look at the size of that pinnyata. It must be Chuck full of candy. Well you know the rest.

15. smith34

smith34

While I agree with a LOT of this, I find myself considering the switch. With over 25 stand locations on 2 properties, saddles can be cheaper than placing a high quality stand in each location while just having to invest in a good ladder/climbing stick for each spot, pre prepped. Not to mention, as the kids start getting to the age, they can use the stand, and dad can hang by them easily, helping the budget too. I don’t know if it is the cure-all, but can be a pretty good tool, especially if I see a spot mid season that is hot, no matter how much I try to do work all year long to get them doing what “I want” during the off season.