Pick BH for whitetails

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Maple_Ridge, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

I shoot an old Hoyt Maxxis, been shooting 100 gr. Strikers G5 for years. Does the job, sometimes minimal bloodtrail with a heart or lung shot.

Between these 2, what would you pick? I like the increase in "quiet flight" that the new Montec M3 boasts. I also like the big 3 blade design that promises a bigger wound channel of the Megameat. Should I be afraid of the mechanical BH?

20200829_115103.jpg

2. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Watch the bone collector episode where the mechanical Waddell is using bounces off of a buck. That's all that needs to be said on those.

4. Dish7

Dish7

I'm a fixed blade guy, so that would be my choice. I also shoot a relatively low poundage at 62lbs. So a two inch cut is a lot of metal for me to push through a deer with consistency. But there is no reason to be afraid of mechanicals if you have the right set up for them. Still if I were to use a mechanical, it would be a smaller one. JMO.

5. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

I shoot 62#s also, 30.5" draw length

Dish7 likes this.
  6. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I like fixed blades personally. I shoot montecs currently and I’m intrigued with those M3’s.

jstfish48162 and Dish7 like this.
  7. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

easy choice. The G5. Hopefully the steel is better in them then prior versions of stainless G5 products. The G5 will be super easy to sharpen. The dead meat is junk for the obvious long list of reasons.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

9. don

don Premium Member

As far as fixed blade heads it's more about the Indian than the broadhead, any quality made, shaving sharp broadhead will do the job if you do yours.
    I'm a dyed in the wool SlickTrick user and have been since they were first introduced in 2000. For 20 years before that I shot almost every broadhead touted to be the latest and the greatest but it wasn't until the fall of 2000 that I truly did, imo.
    They did all I ever needed them to do, recurve, compound, and now the crossbow.
    They will be in my quiver again this year, no reason for me to change.

I won't put my trust in a mechanical head, simple and reliable rarely fails.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    stickbow shooter likes this.
  10. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I seen that the other day. Pretty crazy

stickbow shooter likes this.
  11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Deadmeat for me. Plenty of blood even when there is no exit. Using the 1.5" version

20191026_094148.jpg 20191026_093921.jpg

12. Floyd Lawson

Floyd Lawson

With a compound @ 58 lb. I used Muzzy three blade. Tried a few other fixed broadheads and came to the conclusion that most any of them will do the job if you put it in the boiler room.

FullQuiver, Dish7 and jstfish48162 like this.
  13. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

I would always recommend a fixed blade if you can get them to shoot consistently with field points. I know this wasn't an option, but as far as mechanicals go, I'd highly recommend taking a look at NAP Spitfire; the original with 1.5 inch cutting diameter, not Spitfire Max - should likely get you a pass through with a broadside hit!
    <----<<<

14. 454casull

454casull

As long as your arrow is flying correctly, tuned bow and arrow setup, you should be able to shoot most fixed and or mechanical heads. Those who throw on a mech as a band-aid for poor arrow flight WILL be disappointed. OP, at your DL and poundage I see no reason why a 1.5" or slightly smaller mechanical would not work given, see first sentence. I'm not sold on the un-vented, "silent" broad head but have no hands on experience, gimmick to add separation from the pack. I'm using 1 3/8 and 1 3/4" Grim Reapers, Razor tip, the trocar style, at 60 and 72# respectively with no issues with penetration, 29" DL. Total arrow weight 372-385gr. Then again I am a stickler for...see first sentence. Spend the time to make sure your arrows fly right instead of looking for a magic bullet, it doesn't exist. Certain "real" bullets, 450 bushmaster, I've seen explode on deer shoulders.

Dish7 and U of M Fan like this.
  15. 454casull

454casull

So, I was not in the stand with Waddie, nor am I a fan. #1 too much angle, close but IMO just this side of no shoot. Second, I'll bet his arrows, if topped with a fixed blade, would plane to the left big time. Those G5 heads, not the Dead/Mega Meat, I had a few, never did like the retention system and sharp 90 degree angles are not good in the deer woods. This was part shooter, part tune. I handgun hunt, and I have done this with a bullet, I milked the grip and pulled the shot at a quartering too deer, not hard rake but quartering too and I striped him, stuff happens.