Pheasant Stamp

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by RCA DOGS, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM.

1. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

Was on the DNR website and I’m not sure how current it is. Did the mandatory pheasant stamp for $20 get canceled when the MPHI hunt was postponed or not? The DNR sight just refers to the free pheasant/sharptail stamp needed.

2. birdhntr

birdhntr

I will wager that they decided that collecting money for a postponed program that is a hot topic was not a stellar idea.

3. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

True. But at one point I thought they said they were going to go ahead with the habitat angle

4. birdhntr

birdhntr

I haven't heard such but I will check some info that I have been current with

5. Full_Draw_Killer

Full_Draw_Killer

The stamp was approved to move forward with but it wasn’t going into effect until the 2021 season. This was before Covid hit and the put and take was cancelled for the year.

6. fordman1

fordman1

I hope it Never goes into effect, waste of money for guys that just want to hunt wild birds.

2ESRGR8 and skidoojc like this.
  7. Hackman

Hackman

$20 bucks won't kill you, plus your dog doesn't know the difference.

8. birdhntr

birdhntr

Neither will buying your own birds:rolleyes:

9. P. colchicus

P. colchicus

As I understand it, the sponsors of the bill hoped it would be passed before season started and required to hunt pheasants THIS year, so that they had revenue in hand to fund the program NEXT year after the initial two-year cash allotment ran out. Then COVID happened and it became less of a priority. The bill is still out there, but it's been "tabled" for the time being. No readings are currently scheduled that I'm aware of. But the Senate could get back to it at their discretion.

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

So how many hunters would be for a stamp that went 100% to habitat? I bet alot more would be for it.

The way I see it the stamp is good for pheasant hunting regardless of paying partially planted birds, partially habitat. We could argue for endless hrs about what percentage should be spent where....we all have an opinion. The bottom line is the $20 is supporting pheasant hunting in two forms. The in fighting within the sport doesnt do any good.....there arent enough of us. I would like to see the stamp implemented and grow both sides of the program. Seems a heck of alot better than doing nothing at all.

Full_Draw_Killer likes this.
  11. jd4223

jd4223

Hopefully it won't end up a scam like the $1 stamp required to hunt private property that the farmers enrolled in giving sportsmen(persons) access to more hunting. Every listed farm I tried to hunt in Jackson and Washtenaw County either had know idea what I was talking about or the land available for hunting was plowed under only good for hunting night crawlers. Other farms I checked said there were too many hunters in the field to allow me to hunt. Funny since I never seen any vehicles parked on the property let alone seen a sign in book. Would be a big boost for the Pheasant if habit was a priority.

12. fordman1

fordman1

It won't kill me but I don't want to buy your birds, or have them distributed wherever certain people feel they need to dump them.

Rodbuster, Josh R and skidoojc like this.
  13. birdhntr

birdhntr

I'll stick my money with Pheasants forever and the ruffed grouse society

Chessieman likes this.
  14. Full_Draw_Killer

Full_Draw_Killer

Michigan could take some serious notes here from MN with their land acquisition process and converting back to native grasslands. The perfect model to follow, why others aren't trying to do the same is mind boggling.
    Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 12.57.59 PM.png

Tomfive5 likes this.