Pheasant opener

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by triplelunger, Oct 20, 2020.

1. sportsman98

sportsman98

Hunted hard on Wednesday. Took two days off of work to hunt but the rain shut down that down.

Wednesday we moved 6 roosters and 0 hens which we found odd. 2 roosters ended up coming home with us after some solid dog work. Had three bail out of some private corn and the last one played dirty after beautiful track and point by my dog. Ran right to the edge of gun range and got up going into the sun.

Everything we hunted was public. Birds are there, just have to be willing to walk.

shotgun12, FNC and Trunkslammer like this.
  2. Wino

Wino

3. Wino

Wino

Has anybody hunt Verona up near bad ax lately have never been up there just started pheasing hunting I know there's birds out there might get out there after the weekend is there a lot of pressure up there

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Yes just go. You will be happy you did. The hunting is pretty decent. I am sure you will see plenty of people.. I went in dec and had a great time. My expectations were low and i was extremely happy with the action. Went back 3 times.

5. Wino

Wino

6. Wino

Wino

Thanks for the heads up I've been doing research was reading they did some work out there with improvements on the grasslands maybe several years ago I'm heading that way Sunday or Monday depending on the weather also looking at a place called sharonville

7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

They have been managing verona for pheasants since 2012 or 2013 i believe. There are 4400 non foreested acres there to hunt. Spend some time and look for places that arent as easy to get to. Also some of the habitat that doesnt look as obvious as others.

8. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

I hunt Verona a lot. If you can, go on Monday. It gets hammered on the weekends and since this is opening weekend you’d better get there early there will be guys everywhere. There’s birds there but they get a lot of pressure.

9. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Hunted my dads place today. Had a great day moving about a dozen birds total. Only got shots at 3 of them, Hank quartered and flushed really good today, this was only his 3rd hunt. He didn’t mark and retrieve today though. I dont think he could see the bird go down due to the heavy tall cover. Any suggestions? BE4DD3AD-CB40-437F-A67A-241BCC34CE48.jpeg

10. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

That’s not uncommon in heavy cover with a flushing dog.

Part of it depends on how close the dog is to the flush.

If you knock a bird down and the unsteady dog doesn’t rush immediately to the area of the fall, he doesn’t have it marked. So, take the dog over there where you think you hit it and then start the “hunt dead” chant sooner or later they’ll pick up on the scent or you’ll find feathers and the dog will be able to run down the bird. That’s particularly valuable with pheasants.
    Essential in dry conditions.
    You don’t want to give a wounded bird too much of a Headstart. If you knock it down head to the area of the fall right now. Pronto.

If the head didn’t snap back when you shot it, it’s probably going to hit the ground with track shoes on.

I don’t presume that most people have their retriever trained to a “sit to flush“ level, so what I typed was just for the average hunting dog.
    i’m gonna add this at the end, because, it’s actually the thing that’s running through my mind before I ever squeeze the trigger.

Is the bird going to be recoverable. People shoot ducks out in the marsh without thinking about that, and make no effort to retrieve them. Pheasants are almost as hard, because they can be flying out over a marsh where you can’t possibly retrieve the bird, and you have to choose not to shoot even though it’s a pop shot.

miruss, Milburn, ab5228 and 3 others like this.
  11. ab5228

ab5228

I have no suggestions. Looks like you guys managed just fine.

Trunkslammer likes this.
  12. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

I spent Saturday in the thumb on our old family farm (80 acres). A group of us put up 7 roosters and 2 hens in the morning, no shots fired. Went back out midday to a part of the farm we didnt hit in the morning, dog worked a running bird for about 10 minutes, bird finally flushed and I missed twice. I was pretty dejected and just started walking back, looked back and my pup was giving me the hey not so fast eyes. So I turned around and up goes a young bird, I dropped in on the second shot. Very happy to see it fall as I have feel I should have at least 3 birds in the bag so far, but my shotgun skills have been brutal. Hunted a different part of the state on Sunday, saw 2 hens and 2 roosters, 2 shots fired and more of the same (Misses).

FNC and Trunkslammer like this.
  13. Wino

Wino

Glad to hear this at least I'm hearing there's a population of a few birds here and there I'm headed up towards bad ax some public land heard a few positive info on this area the weather is supposed to be looking good tomorrow Wednesday a long drive to go up there when I'm from the Milford area not here in promising news about west of Milford Eaton county so on so I'm going to go up to this new area and Snoop around kick the grass odds are against me I don't have a dog but I got a young son 23 years old trying to show him the ropes I myself hadn't having fun peasant 25-30 years I'll post it in the information after I do this hunt

14. birdhntr

birdhntr

Pause a lot to hopefully make them nervous and fly

15. GDLUCK

GDLUCK

Dude, you are like a bird god or guru or something. the other thread on woodcock you said you put up 100-150 average on a 3 day weekends. 150 flushes would be an INCREDIBLE SEASON for me. you got some mad bird skills.