Pheasant opener

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by triplelunger, Oct 20, 2020.

1. FNC

FNC

No, we must have been in different areas. Just general, good natured conversation. What a great bunch of guys, safe too.

michgundog likes this.
  2. Chessieman

Chessieman

OK, just curious, was it the Mickey Mouse one or the Pheasant head one? :whistle:

Trunkslammer likes this.

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Patek with gamebird complications.

Chessieman likes this.
  4. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Finally have a chance to post my results.
    1. Opening day, got my limit. Moved 23 birds on public land. Lots of hens. Not as many guys as previous years. Watched a group of guys unload on a HEN that I put up. Gave them some friendly advice on shooting hens and went about my day.
    2. Wednesday. Had my limit in 15 minutes put the gun away and worked the dog for the next couple hours. Moved 17 birds on public land again. A lot more mixed between hens and roosters this day. Good start to the season. The dog has a rest day today before heading north for woodcock tomorrow.

Bonz 54, michgundog, bearmak and 7 others like this.
  5. triplelunger

triplelunger

Nice!
    Unfortunately, I'm gonna need gps coordinates to confirm some things from your post.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

:D

7. Bucman

Bucman

That bird is on my bucket list. Never could get myself to shoot the one or two around the house. I remember as a kid the pheasant opener. Those dates seem etched in my mind.

8. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Are you sure you’re in Michigan hahaa, wow incredible! Ever need a sidekick with a mediocre at best dog hit me up.... seriously!

michgundog likes this.
  9. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

I was pretty surprised at what I saw. But with the winters we’ve had. And the habitat being created bird numbers are going up. Plus lack of pressure thanks to a Tuesday opening day helped out also.

Trunkslammer likes this.
  10. birdhntr

birdhntr

I found 50 Christmas eve and new year's day last year in about a four hourchunt.I average over a dozen every time last year with some days in the 20's leading up to the last week.One day my dog recovered two cripples and I never fired a round.
    It can be good if you have an idea on where they like to be to get away from the pressure.A strong dog with stamina is very helpful In the thick cover.They need to cover a lot of ground speedy.

11. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

It just makes me chuckle the guys who say things about habitat. The birds are there you just have to know where to find them.

12. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Well I am a bad example I suppose. Dog and I got out tonight on some public dirt that we haven’t been to yet. Hunted from 5 until 6:45ish. I was shocked at how good the habitat was. I was also shocked that we didnt see a single bird. I did not know where to look. Had fun though and the dog got a good run. He spent half the time having to jump threw I switch grass. So thick he couldn’t run. Wore me out to. Need a little snow to knock that stuff down.

13. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Don't be too down on yourself.
    It's all perspective. I have 57 years walking the field I walked yesterday.
    Do you think my not seeing a single track in the mud is because I didn't know where to walk?

14. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Oh no, had a great evening. If it was easy it wouldn’t be as fun and the reward wouldn’t be quite as sweet. Didnt see any other hunters which I was happy about, probably because it was wet from the all day rain. The dog and I still have a lot to learn and we are looking forward to it. I am curious if there are any birds out there. I will keep trying until I find out.

15. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

If you never hear a cock crow, probably not.