Pheasant opener

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by triplelunger, Oct 20, 2020.

1. triplelunger

triplelunger

michgundog likes this.
  2. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

4 pts, 2 hens,1 woodcock, and an hyb.

3. triplelunger

triplelunger

Bonz 54, tcmsu, melvvin and 21 others like this.
  4. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

About time, nice work lunger! The dog and I have been waiting patiently all day to see some roosters down. Work and kids are guna make us wait for Saturday!

triplelunger likes this.
  5. Chessieman

Chessieman

One flush with 6 birds, two of which was Roosters. Too close to make it any challenge besides it was in the first 50 yards. Picked up a running Rooster that took the dog 100 yards to put up. The old dog was to worn out after that chase. It was her day anyway, she had fun. I only shoot two Roosters per year off my place so am in no hurry.

6. triplelunger

triplelunger

Thanks! Just the pup and I. Picture perfect point. Just glad I pulled through on my end!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

Congrats joe, thats awesome!

8. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Just curious why you only shoot two roosters per year from your land? Seems I remember you writing about doing lots of habitat work on your land etc. Don't take this as argumentative, im simply curious and nosey.

2ESRGR8 likes this.
  9. Chessieman

Chessieman

I work my ass off TRYING to convert my land to Pheasant heaven. The walk hunting I took yesterday was the first time I have been on that portion since last fall or maybe the year before. As I was walking one portion of a field the cover looked absolutely like ****. I have been thinking since yesterday as to how, when, cost and why to improve this area. I am hard ass clay so it is all about soil composition and compaction. I shake my head as I was walking thru chest high Goldenrod and seeing Sorghum stocks from two years ago still standing. I have come to realize after 30 years of development that you have to tackle one problem area at a time, do not look at it as one portion of a field every 3 or 4 years working it. Had another thin field I noticed and brushed hogged it this past late summer. As I was spraying it I saw the problem. The field was full of Quack Grass which means some careful processes to get rid of or control it. This field will be planted late next spring with the PF winter mix so it will be out of it for two years for nesting but next summer will have the pollinators. I brush hog before plowing and prefer fall rather than spring. To many times in the spring trying to prevent my three ton tractor becoming the SS Bismarck.
    P.S. On the **** field yesterday I will plow it in opposite direction next fall, I hate plowing up Pheasant nests in the spring.
    P.S.S. I only shoot a couple too not be greedy.

10. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

You might get a little more bang with some predator suppression.
    25 dog proof coon traps, and on a small parcel you can really help the hens for cheap.

I'm glad you aren't greedy, not many pheasant hunters think that way.

Bonz 54 and fordman1 like this.
  11. Chessieman

Chessieman

I already take care of them, the Fxxxxxg Beavers are my BIG trouble now. I can not wait till after season to take care of the problem.

Trunkslammer and Forest Meister like this.
  12. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

I envy your passion and commitment Chessie. Mother Nature can be a b word.

13. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

Flushed 4 roosters and 9 hens yesterday. I had one good opportunity at a rooster and missed both shots, Took a hail mary shot at another rooster, and missed.
    This morning my dog flushed 5 hens and 4 roosters, no shots fired because I was too busy trying to mark where the first two out of range roosters went, while my dog was working a rooster that was holding tight, going to regret that mistake for a while. This was all public land.
    All in a all a good day and half of hunting. Excited to get back out there, the weekend cant come soon enough.

14. FNC

FNC

My dog and I went out on the 20th on public land in the Thumb. Pointed 3-hens, worked 1-rooster that got up out of range. My observations:

* Standing corn,
    * Cover on public is very good,
    * Many guys out for a Tuesday opening day,
    * Not a much shooting. Heard a couple shots at crack of dawn but that was it for the day,
    * Met alot of very nice guys in the parking area and chatted a bit.

It was a beautiful day to be out and my dog had fun. Good luck to all - I wish October was 6-months long. Will get back at it again this weekend.

Frank

15. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Did we meet? Question about my watch?