Petco is trying to make shock collars illegal.

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Chessieman, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Chessieman

Chessieman

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/c/stop-the-shock

We all know they can be used abusingly. What do they recommended for a dog chasing deer? Number six shot in the ass? I went there about a decade ago for a training choker. When I asked a employee about it she informed me " we do not sell those cruel things". I guess they rather have a dog being constantly choked or jerked to learn walking for a loose chain. Any time I used the training choker it was only used once if the dog had any brains.

2. gundogguy

gundogguy

I don't trade with Petco. But if i did they probable let me use the Ladies room if wanted.
    Chances are they support BLM, Antifa and the Anti-Christ.
    Progressive are constantly trying to change the mores of the land!

Hal

birdhntr, sgc, Soignie and 2 others like this.

3. on a call

on a call

Just remember...they do not want you out hunting anyhow...it is cruel so they say.

They would rather you get your meat where it is made...at the store.

Little do they know...those chickens are about a 0% of getting away. I said about...how about 0% same with the cattle, sheep, pigs.

Wish they had a comment section.

RS1983 and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I laugh when I see people buying cage free eggs thinking they are free ranged. In fact they are raised the same as turkey's are, crammed in huge buildings. I buy all of our eggs at Meijer's in Big Rapids. I buy the ones in card board cartons at 49 cents a dozen while the pay at least three times more for the cage free ones.
    If you shop at Cedar Springs Meijer they want $2.00 a dozen for the same eggs I pay 49 cents for at Big Rapids. I asked why at the service counter. I was told that they come from a different supplier. That was pure BS as ALL of Meijer's eggs come from Herbucks.

RS1983, TriggerDiscipline and jonnyb like this.
  5. kek25

kek25

They are a private company making a business decision. The free market will make the necessary adjustments in response to that decision.

As a hunter and dog trainer, I have never shopped at this retailer for training aids or feed. Probably safe to say that the majority of their customers are non hunters and non trainers. Probably best to take these collars out of their hands, anyway.

As for eggs. I buy them for $3 a dozen from a local farmer. Much better tasting than any store bought eggs. Lol.

Bobby, on a call, RS1983 and 3 others like this.
  6. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Dog's behavior is guided by only (key word only) positive reinforcement because they are different from any other creature on earth and did not evolve in nature. In fact dogs spontaneously generated from a mystical, utopian yuppy land where pain did not exist. Therefore, they do not understand discomfort and won't get run over by a truck when they run away. In fact, dogs don't actually exist in a reality space where anything happens that wouldn't make for a cute picture on social media.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

#8 shot you sadist! lol I went to the Petco by the gym to pick up some milkbones for the dog. I got a lecture about their corporate position and how they only sell wholesome dog treats. I guess I hadn't been there in a while.

I agree with the average citizen not having easy access to e-collars. You need to be trained on them and use them in an appropriate manner. I also agree with cage free eggs. Which all meijers are and all sold in the state will be soon. No reason to mistreat animals just to make a profit.

grousebaby likes this.
  8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Were those vegan dog treats? Those are a lot of what makes petcos training program effective in all circumstances.

Take any dog with a high prey drive. Imagine a 150 lb deer runs in front of him. Now wave a 1/4 oz vegan dog treat in the air and call him with an annoying high pitch baby like voice. He will come right back. Why? Dogs like the ravenous wolves they came from actually prefer a vegan lifestyle. And true dog owners agree.

9. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

I don't know if they were talking about vegan treats or not. I simply left. But I agree purely positive training is a fail. My sighthound can be called off a deer because of thomas edison. Same as the dogs before him.

I think e-collars used correctly are a very useful tool. Used wrong, they are pretty much worthless for training. Some people use them as a shortcut and never realize their true worth.

Now, what's up with all these harnesses I see as opposed to collars. One lady the other day had a confusing array of leashes and a harness as well as a collar. I guess if the pulling on the harness doesn't work. She'll switch to the collar lead?

10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

TOBY! COME, COME, COME....

Works every time. I'm the Alpha in the pack and he knows it and does what I say. No need for a shock collar and I've never used one. Dawgs are cool and easy to train. Just my experience after decades of doing it.

Nostromo likes this.
  11. Tomfive5

Tomfive5

I bet some of the horrendous dog food/dog treats/ chew toys they sell hurt far more dogs every year than shock collars do.

birdhntr and Nostromo like this.
  12. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Couldn't be more traumatic than having 6Speed yelling at you to come. :whistle:

6Speed likes this.
  13. sgc

sgc

Exactly what i was thinking. Liberals enjoying taking away rights of others. Hunting is surely on their agenda.

gundogguy likes this.
  14. RS1983

RS1983

Last week I was at park located on an island in the middle of a decent size lake with my 4 year old son and my 5 month old yellow lab. I'm just starting collar conditioning. He comes from 100% American field trial stock, so needless to say his energy and retrieving drive is OFF THE CHARTS. Kid picks up a small stick and throws it into the sunset and then releases the dog before I could stop it. Dog starts swimming out into the middle of the lake trying to find the bumper or frozen duck it's expecting. He refused to give up the search and my verbal commands did nothing to recall him. Good thing he had his e collar because giving him the here command and continuous stimulation, as I had done before in the yard, was the only way to get him back to shore. The second I stopped the stimulation he would turn right around in the water and start heading back out. Stimulation back on...he has begun being conditioned that the only way to turn that off is to get him butt back to me and sit at my left side. I'm convinced that dog would have drowned itself without the collar, or would have ended up on the other side of they lake in someone's yard before I could have got to it.
    So when these Libs running Petco say a e collar is cruel I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan-
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”

Stand By, kisherfisher and on a call like this.
  15. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

Petco was the only store that carried the tick removal tool, actually two of them in different sizes, that I was looking for. This tool allows you to humanely remove the tick from you or your pet so you can set it back on the ground an squish the hell out of it, or stab it with a needle and burn it with your lighter.

JimP and RS1983 like this.