Pertronix electronic ignition conversion

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Kennybks, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Kennybks

Kennybks

I've been considering switching over to the electronic ignition system and do away with points, condenser. Going through coils and dealing with these issues.

I have a 6cyl GM 4lt which has ran great until now. I've checked out the connections and voltage seems right. Talked with the customer technical support. 60° or 90° V6? Odd or even fire? Delco or Prestol distributor?

My distributor is in poor shape and probably not worth trying to clean up where moisture has got into the bowl. Probably the primary issue all along.

They sell a kit that is around $100 to convert. You've also required to use their hot coils, which come with a 30 month guarantee.

The other option is a whole new marine distributor from Pertronix with electronic ignition installed and ready. $340~

Considering the corrosion on mine...

Guess I'm going to pull the distributor and identify model, make sure what they got that will work. I am certain I don't want to buy a new points/condenser replacement.

Anyone familiar with this product? Recommendations? Thanks K

2. Alaby

Alaby Premium Member

I put one in a 4.3 w/OMC outdrive and Prestolite distributer,piece of cake. Boat is still running. I didn't change my coil.
    Do you have Mercruiser or Cobra outdrive? Mercruiser may be different than my Cobra. Also I put mine in 10 years ago, technology changes.

Kennybks likes this.

3. micooner

micooner

Good friend changed his twin engines in his cris craft a few years ago and never looked back using pertronix. If I remember only issue was a hidden or unknown step down resistor he figured out that he had to replace.

4. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

I put a pertronix on my old jet boat with a '76 455 Olds, and wish'd I had done it years before. Piece of cake install, and immediately ran smoother than it ever did. Not to mention it was maintenance free... overall, night and day improvement over the old points/condenser set-up.

Kennybks and micooner like this.
  5. Alaby

Alaby Premium Member

I bought the resisters from Radio Shack, never put them in though. Had something to do with the switch on OMC Cobra that lowers rpm when you shift into gear. My switch was broken, my mechanic said don't be gentle when putting in gear.
    I still have the resisters

6. Kennybks

Kennybks

Thanks everyone for the inputs.
    I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

20200821_164543.jpg

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Prestolites can always be rebushed. Someone will give you a couple bucks for it.

Kennybks likes this.
  8. shoprat51

shoprat51

Before you buy a conversion kit look at a new HEI ignition summit racing has them as well as speedway motors there around a $100.00 1 wire to hook up and your done I put on. 292 Chevy I6 for a client very nice set up

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Kennybks likes this.
  9. slimpickins

slimpickins

10. Kennybks

Kennybks

I saw those. I got the pertronix for my 6cyl and I'll likely get the HEI for my 4cyl. Nothing like having two boats in repair!