Persimmon Trees in Michigan

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by bps, Oct 14, 2020.

1. brewster

brewster Premium Member

I have 5 in each location for that reason.

jparks02 and Dish7 like this.
  2. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

3. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

In my opinion, it is not worth the effort to attract deer for whitetail deer habitat. I would recommend it for a habitat pursuit and for posterity, but just don't count your chickens before they hatch.

In my experience, yes, they are very slow growing. And the pollinator issue is a problem.

I planted some ten years ago. I also had some in the garden, that I never got around to transplanting out in the back 40.

It took ten years for the first to fruit. and only 10% turned out to be female. And bear fruit.

I have some out back, and they are very small after ten years and none of them fruited.

Here are some pictures from 4 days ago of the ones I left on my frontage, in the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jparks02, vsmorgantown and Dish7 like this.
  4. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Couple of us were pheasant hunting in Lenawee Co about 30 yrs ago, no pheasants.

We did run into a persimmon tree. I like em and beat the possums to em.

I did find persimmons squirrel hunting W of Toledo many years ago, on a couple of occasions. Im always intrigued by the BIG leaves. How long to fruit?? I bet 8-10 years.

I was visiting an old Army buddy in LA about 2004. He had so me 'exotic' fruits trees in containers alongside his house. I asked about persimmons. He said "NO" and later I ordered a couple from Gurneys to him. I lost track of him so I dont know about the trees.

jparks02 likes this.
  5. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I first saw persimmons when I was about ten years old and visiting family down in Ohio. Didn't see them again until we got mobilized for desert storm and got sent to Fort Knox. Just happened to be when they were getting ripe And I found some on the ground along with some leaks, some butter nuts and some black walnuts Sure did make a joke of the wilderness survival course they were trying to teach. I had already found my supper.

Waif, StevenJ, jparks02 and 1 other person like this.
  6. thetreestandguy

thetreestandguy

I've been planting them for at least 4 years now. I was really nervous about the growth rate but it seems like in year 3 they seem to have taken off, at least a lot better than the previous few years. Not saying they are fast growers but those first few years had me second guessing my choice. Now I'll be patient.

Just an FYI, I order trees every spring from Chestnut Hills and have them delivered to the shop. Anyone that wants in can do so, this spring I off-loaded 300 trees from the semi.
    2020 2.jpg

7. brewster

brewster Premium Member

I've been very happy with the trees I've purchased through you.

Thanks

jparks02 likes this.
  8. Dish7

Dish7

How many trees do I have to buy to get a free treestand?

jparks02 likes this.
  9. brewster

brewster Premium Member

Ooh ooh, I'd be interested to know that also.

10. thetreestandguy

thetreestandguy

I guess I forgot to push 'reply' earlier this week after typing the following.... I did the math and when taking into account the paltry markup I do on trees I'm going with 48 trees gets you a hang-on stand. So line em boys, I want to get an entire semi load of trees instead of half a load!!:D

Waif, Dish7 and vsmorgantown like this.
  11. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Don't need a tree stand but I would like to know how old these trees have to be before they start dropping fruit.

12. thetreestandguy

thetreestandguy

I'm personally leary on that question. Their own info says 2-3 years but that's certainly not my experience or that of others. I'm guessing that's in the Florida (where they come from) or general southern weather where they are more prevalent, not our more northerly climates. Also, I don't personally baby my trees, they get one summer of water when needed and then on their own for good. I have guys that absolutely spend a lot of time (water/fert) and have better results than I do.