Perch skin....

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by BFG, Sep 29, 2020.

1. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

I don't care for perch fillets with skin they seem more chewy, I skin all my perch and panfish. I've done recipes before with salmon and halibut where I've done the crispy skin its definitely different than perch skin more like a chip.

2. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

Scale all panfish,skin all walleye and smallmouth,skin and breast all ducks and geese prior to Oct 25th,pluck all fowl after Oct 25th,all other game skinned as in rabbit,squirrel,and venison. All fish frozen in bottled water,all game frozen in double saran and freezer wrap.LOL there can be no other way.Just defrosted goose breasts from 2015 and 2017 to make burger,when mixed with 30% Jinny Dean sausage and seasonings just outstanding!For us there can be no shortcuts,especially after watching a buddy make curly fries out of 25 of the most beautiful gills taken thru the ice last winter. go ahead convince yourselves,easier is not better,and ya iam the old guy,LMAO!

bellkey and real duckhead like this.

3. Big Skip

Big Skip

I don't know where people get this. Hell I'll give you belly meat when filleting a panfish.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

BuckeyeFootball likes this.
  4. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Absolutely agree.

5. terrylee86

terrylee86

I grew in Sandusky, Ohio and ate perch all the time. All of our perch had the skin on and when I cleaned bluegill as well. I am wicked fast cleaning walleye with my cordless electric knife, but prefer to clean perch with the skin on. We always took our perch to the cleaners until the largest fillets started not appearing in our bags. A couple of times a dozen of our largest perch never came back. Now we clean them ourselves and use the H&H 5 gallon bucket scaler and it works like a dream if you are careful to examine your fish. Too long in the bucket or too fast with the drill and they are fish patties. We bought the fish tumbler from Cabela’s and it performed poorly on perch, good on bluegill. Old Hobart potato peeler would be great, but all the fisherman pick those up by word of mouth.

kisherfisher likes this.
  6. stickman1978

stickman1978

Neighbor in FL does them this way. The crispy tails are the best.

TK81 likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

No skin for me. Not on any fish except salmon. And with salmon I peel the skin off after cooking and scrape away the nasty red (brown after cooked) stuff. Skin on perch does seem to add flavor but it isn't a flavor I prefer. Always seemed more like skin on vs skinless. Just not for me.

joeand, jiggin is livin and garyb like this.
  8. ICEGUY

ICEGUY Premium Member

My favorite way!!!!! Tails are great!

upload_2020-9-30_9-44-32.png

9. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Tried eggs before... waaaaaay too fishy for me

10. ICEGUY

ICEGUY Premium Member

I have eggs a couple times a year. I over season them, cut in halve, fry hard.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  11. 50incher

50incher

My mother, raised on a depression era farm would eat eggs, I would give them to the dog, lol....but I like it....cheers....

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. fishinmachine2

fishinmachine2

Bucket scalers are the best and fast and easier to clean up then a tumbler! I sold my tumbler!

I scale anything 8-10" and then fillet anything bigger with skin off!!

13. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

Yup thats the way it was and for some a way of life,not alot of money when we were young so if it didnt move we ate it,lol,and calf brains was a defining moment for me,i tried fish eggs and immediately went into childhood trauma.To each there own,Do what makes ya happy!

14. terrylee86

terrylee86

Got two this year when the charter captain in our marina,BBM,Trevor from Kelly Joe, was using one. We watched him do the whole boat’s fish with that bucket and he said he got it at Frank’s. I talked to the guy that makes them because I wanted the tumbler scaler he makes and he told me unless you are a fish cleaner or charter captain the $600 tumbler he makes are not worth it. Besides he said he is two years behind on orders because he is too busy making the bucket ones. He just lives down the road from Frank’s. Really nice guy and makes a hell of a product. He told me to not change drills, keep it consistent and always time it. If you leave them in too long it fish meal city.

Howard Baumann likes this.
  15. cleaver

cleaver

I was wrong the bucket scaler is 49.99 at franks. they must of went up like everthing else.