Perch skin....

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by BFG, Sep 29, 2020.

1. BFG

BFG

The perch recipe thread got me thinking: What in the world ever prompted people to eat the skin of yellow perch? I don't eat bluegill, crappie, or walleye skin? I see fancy restaurants cut off and then crisp up salmon skin and use it as a garnish (which is sometimes eaten).

Why do you eat them with the skin on? It adds bulk to the fillet, but I would much prefer to eat them skinless.

Papa Liver and sureshot006 like this.
  2. real duckhead

real duckhead

WELL ME PERSONALLY like the skin on perch only. It doesn't do much for taste but if skin is off they wont curl up. I like them to do that so it holds tarter sauce if I do use it or company does. If you are doing poor mans lobster then skin off boil dip in butter. Normally I use malt vinegar on all my fish that is fried. England boy gotta have it.

jiggerjarvi and jiggin is livin like this.

3. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

I think a lot of people just scale all of their panfish. So that includes perch, bluegills, and crappie. Too much meat is lost when you remove the skin.

For something that is ultimately getting fried....can't really tell the difference. If anything I prefer the skin.

As for salmon, just grill with the skin on.

performance4 and jiggin is livin like this.
  4. KI Jim

KI Jim

I much prefer the small panfish (perch, crappie, bluegill) with the skin on. I have done side by side taste tests with my family and it was unanimous that the final product tastes better. As a bonus, you do get a better bulk to the filet and it cooks better.

Of course, we all know that scaling fish sucks, but between my Tumbledrum scaler (that gets about 95% of the scales off) and the manual "Magic" scaler that cleans up the rest in about 5 seconds, processing fish this way is very easy and fast.

Howard Baumann and sgc like this.
  5. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Some people like chewy perch, I guess.

I had fried perch with skin on 1x and didn't care for it. Way more chewy than with skin removed. A bit like chewing on jerky IMHO.

6. kdx1980

kdx1980

A lot of people prefer perch with skin on, me included. I rarely get it as descaling is too much work for me, I really need a tumble scaler

Sent from my VS996 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

FullQuiver likes this.
  7. 50incher

50incher

imo, back in the day it might of been about not wasting ? not sure, but we used to scale Walleye in the back yard with 2 bottle tops nailed to a 1x2 piece of wood by hand when I grew up, scales were flying, lol....we never skinned fish....& they were probably the most contaminated fish compared to today that we ever ate....:D....

And I agree that Perch with the skin on have a very slight better taste, still do that when we have time with an old Bear Paw electric scaler....knowledge and concern's change with time, I've skinned all Walleye for a long time....

Interesting topic, I'll bet most old timers who had to wait 45 mins. for a baked potato will be skin on types, lol....

8. KI Jim

KI Jim

I think you had a way overdone filet. No way have I experienced this.

Fishndude, terrylee86 and fishnpbr like this.
  9. KI Jim

KI Jim

The tumble scaler makes panfish fishing much more enjoyable. It is not perfect as you do have to do some really minor cleanup on scales it misses with a manual scaler but only very brief-maybe 5 seconds per fish. It really does help.

kdx1980 likes this.
  10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Fish skin belongs in the trash. Or in the case of salmon skin after it is grilled and eaten, the skin goes to the cat.

Scaling fish is slave labor and a totally unnecessary mess. Never mind it is twice as fast to filet and skin the fish. Pan fish and perch loses almost zero meat when it is skinned, unless you are doing something wayyyy wrong.

11. fishnpbr

fishnpbr

I prefer the skin on perch. For years I took the skin off as it's easier, less messy, and much quicker than scaling. Skin on is a more flavorful fillet in my opinion. I have never experienced chewy skin when left on a perch fillet. The real lake perch dinners that I have experienced in a rest generally have the skin on. YMMV

kdx1980 and Lake Boy like this.
  12. KI Jim

KI Jim

If you use a manual scaler it is at least twice the time to clean the fish-probably more like triple, but with a tumbledrum it is almost comparable. With an electric knife, I can do 100 perch in an hour (by myself) skinned-start to finish including cleanup. Scaling them using a Tumbledrum and an electric knife I do same.

13. kdx1980

kdx1980

This is impressive I can't do 100 perch in an hour even if I'm skinning them

Sent from my VS996 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

real duckhead likes this.
  14. the roofer

the roofer

I would love to own a pair of perch skin boots.

15. real duckhead

real duckhead

That's where you guys are messing up perch only when you have a box now 10 or 20 I do. Over that I take to cleaners. Box of eyes 20 min with electric knife no worries. Perch drop off pick up next day and no sore neck. They leave skin on so you know your getting perch back I would guess.

itchy, rfcpgp and jiggin is livin like this.