Perch palooza 2020

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Carpenter Bill, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

This is my set up. Always on the boat. Never know when you might need them. Definitely need chain. Either one holds my 17' Starcraft. One has 50' of rope the other is 100' . Depending on wind and depth. 20200807_141254.jpg

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Wanted to take my son for perch tomorrow but geez... its probably going to be insanely busy. He is good for about 1 hr so now I gotta rethink!

3. KJW1992

KJW1992

Is busy perch fishing as bad as busy walleye trolling? My brother and I were out on fourth of July and people were a bunch of "see you next Tuesday"s. Had several people cut in front of us when we had right of way and then bitch at us for being too close.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  4. sureshot006

They'll park within spitting distance if you're on fish... not really cutting off but you might be able to share some snacks with them lol

jstfish48162 and walleye50 like this.
  5. the roofer

the roofer

Don’t ever fish near the pack..no need 2..better fishing if u are alone..sometimes u will have people anchor right next to u ..and u will have trollers troll by watching how u are doing..keep the fish low then..

DoubleJay, 12riverfish, jakeo and 5 others like this.
  6. KJW1992

KJW1992

Sounds like a good time to start casting. I have really bad aim with these heavy weights I'll be using... :rolleyes:

amcfall and HillbillyDeluxe like this.
  7. Fish King

Fish King

Well my perch plans are going to **** real fast. Went to bottom line to get minnows for morning, have an Engle minnow cooler. Bought 4 scoops , put bubbler on at shop drove home 10 mins and went to put ice bottle on them and there dead already. Called shop told them and they said it was impossible. I'm royaly pissed right now

8. marty59

marty59

Dry them and Put in a bag of dry kosher salt and then freeze the bag. Those minnows will be good to go tomorrow!

Marty

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  9. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

Throw them on a cookie sheet and salt them and toss them in the freezer. Better salted and dead than smelly and dead. That sucks they died that fast. Not good no longer than that. You would like to think they would last a few hours anyway.

marty59 likes this.
  10. the roofer

the roofer

Never buy your minnows the night before..emeralds are hard to keep alive..when You tossed that ice bottle in them u shocked them..salt them down now like others said..

11. FrankT75

FrankT75

If they're still firm, put them in a plastic bag, put ice with them and put them in the fridge or a cooler. If you keep them ice cold, they will stay firm and still be good bait tomorrow. If they sit for very long in warm water, then salting is the only way to go. The good thing with salting is the minnows get tougher, the bad thing is they shrink.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  12. sureshot006

I've never had that issue. Put the cooler in the fridge to chill over night, then you can add an ice bottle without too much shock.

13. the roofer

the roofer

Exactly..don’t add ice water 2 fast..iand I love your thinking...wife would have a heart attack if I put a cooler of minnows in fridge..lol

Lake Boy and sureshot006 like this.
  14. outdoordude

outdoordude

I don’t get this hype, It’s 8-9 perch with a bonus bigger, so weird

Raider_03, WACKNSTACK and sureshot006 like this.
  15. the roofer

the roofer

if u prefer catfish i have some numbers....8-9 are perfect..

Scottr, Bay buster, Jgrew and 2 others like this.