Perch palooza 2020

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Carpenter Bill, Jul 24, 2020.

1. terrylee86

terrylee86

We did Roofer, we went along the Ohio line for a couple of miles and marked zero fish. On the way back to BBM, we motored from the entrance of the bay(22’) to about 16’ and marked nothing. We gave up and went to Jerry’s Frenchtown Cafe for a perch lunch. We had more perch on our plates than we saw on the screen all day.
    This stable weather should help you guys this weekend. The perch should come back in to MI waters. We went out too soon after all that crappy weather, but it was a beautiful day on Lake Erie.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    DoubleJay likes this.
  2. benelli/girl

benelli/girl

Good morning TL86 , appreciate the report! Do ya think Friday would be worth trying? Or still to soon after bad weather?

3. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

I did not make it out.Couldnt get out of bed.Sounds like I didnt miss much.

4. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Looking like Saturday is going to be beautiful, We will be out Prospect in for some Lake Erie Gold. The baits motel Pro staff will be out giving a clinic Saturday morning on how to locate and catch jumbo perch. Good luck to all. Will beyond 68.

5. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

We launched out of Bolles headed SE to the ohio line, it wasn't crazy fast but we finished about 3:00 with our 150. 21' gray polar kraft tiller

Attached Files:

• 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      3.8 MB
      Views:
  6. onebad800

onebad800

Any size to them? We didn’t get any over 9.5” last night out of SSP and was slow for us but only fished few hours in the evening .

7. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Ooh my,Nice job.Look out this weekend.Everyone and their bother going to be out.Im thinking about tomorrow and beat the weekend rush.

8. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

We keep 8s and up, just guessing I'd say we had 2 or 3 dozen in the 10" range

9. terrylee86

terrylee86

We come out of Brest Bay Marina and that area you fished is quite a run. We were out yesterday and saw a half dozen boats running into our area from E-Buoy so we decided to stay on this side of DTE. Great job on the convicts, I do think they will come back in with this stable weather we have coming.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  10. terrylee86

terrylee86

That is two days of stable weather that we did not have. Give it a shot and you might find a good school of convicts. Good Luck, I am up north, so no perching for me.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  11. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

Fished today from RR to Fermi from 23 ft to 27 ft ,the fish are not there,we did keep 14 really nice perch,everyone we caught except 2 were over 10 inches, we marked several large schools of big fish from top to bottom,do not know what they were??? The fish we caught bit hard but we d catch 3 to4 at each stop and thenn the big 0,so gonna take next week off ,the weather must have really shook em up! GL

Bruce William and the roofer like this.
  12. jakeo

jakeo

I got all family matters completed by noon so called buddy and we launched from Bolles at 1:30 and headed towards E buoy where he had heard they were getting them. The Ne-East wind wasn't to bad. We anchored in 21' but only got Gobies and White Perch so headed out by ourselves to 24' and ended up with 41 total, all 7.5 and up with biggest being 10".
    Hit dock at 4:00 so I've done alot worse. Had a guy at ramp say he had "jumbos" but when the DNR check Lady was talking to him, he lifted the lid and YES I had to ask if the JUMBOS got out on the way in.
    I hate a BS'Er and never miss a chance to call it as I see it and NO Jumbo's were in that cooler.
    BTW........Anglers was running out of Shiners this afternoon so A HEADS UP.

13. KJW1992

KJW1992

My girlfriend and I are moving West across the state next month so she asked me to take her fishing tomorrow for some stress relief (I'm a lucky guy, I know!) Anyway, I just started fishing Erie this year for Walleyes and have yet to catch a perch so I thought we'd give that a shot. Any general recommendation on where to look? Or how to find them? I've only fished out of sterling but I'm not opposed to giving Bolles a shot. Coming from Dundee do I think it's about the same distance.

Also, where do I get bait? Looks like at least one place is running out of shiners?

Any help is much appreciated, if I find any fish tomorrow I'll return the favor. Just hoping to get into some while I can. Lake Erie is a long drive from Hastings...

14. KJW1992

KJW1992

One other question just came to mind... What type of anchor do you need out there? I have a danforth style that's probably only 10# for a 16' deep v tracker. It's hardly enough for inland water with any wind so I'm guessing it'll be futile at best on Erie.

May just try drifting around, mark any fish or schools we find, and travel upcurrent to drift back through the same area?

15. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

My boat is 18' with an 8# danforth. It is fine with the appropriate length of rope and chain.

Jiw275 and KJW1992 like this.