Perch flies

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by milanmark, Aug 13, 2020.

1. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I like Perch Pounders but like to tie my own stuff and also can't repair theirs... so got my vise out and tried some ideas out!
    I wanted the less is more approach, something that I can bait with a minnow but still could catch a perch on it's own... I want to use on a dropshot rig as the top hook then use a snelled hook off the sinker snap... maybe a hook in between for a minnow, we'll see...
    And I still have to figure out how to attach them to the main rig leader...
    So here they are! Variations with Squirmy Wormy. Pearl Flashabou. Estaz head. Chenille body...
    We'll see if the fish like any of them.
    Next week I'll be doing a poll... with the fish! I'll let you know the result!

IMG_4697.JPG

Left squirmy wormy w/eztaz head, pearl flashabou tail
    Middle top squirmy wormy with pearl estaz head
    Middle bottom pearl flashabou tail estaz head
    Right chenille body pearl flashabou wing

I personally like the middle two best but we'll see what the perch say!

Let It Ride, MISTURN3, -db- and 10 others like this.
  2. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

They look good Mark. Caught a lot of perch on streamers and nymphs. Never tried them as drop shot.

DoubleJay likes this.

3. real duckhead

real duckhead

Please post result I am interested if they snap. seen lots of wiggler caucuses on water other day. Was in the clay so they are suppose to be there just weird this late but this has been strange year to say the least. Deer still have spots ducks are still ducklings this late. used to use wigs on them Ice fishing and of coarse those chrome acrobats that we chased all over the state. Good luck sure they will work if in school.

Skinner 2, DoubleJay and performance4 like this.
  4. steelhead281

steelhead281

Jeff Blood ties a zonker called White death. It mimics a dead minnow because dead minnows lose color quickly after death. He dead drifts this fly for steelhead, me too but other trout as well. I have always thought it would be great for crappie and perch. Hope you try it and report success.
    Here is the video from Jeff

Bonz 54, -db-, Skinner 2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

That Zonker looks a lot like a streamer I made for smallmouth on a stream up north. There is a very silver and bright red smelt shaped minnow in it. They would be in tight schools. I added a red calf hair tail and throat to the streamer.

Caught pike, smallies, smallmouth, rockbass, perch and splake on it.

Seems a mayfly pattern would be good as well.

bellkey and swamprat1954 like this.
  6. UNCLE AL

UNCLE AL

BayBornNRaised has a selection of perch flies thats PROVEN to catch perch. Increase the numbers and size compared to old school rigs every outing. His flies have win numerous tourneys from inland lakes to the big lakes. Also a couple Charter captains have switched and wont have a regular rig on boat again. He has sold over 9000 flies in 4yrs and still filling orders. Here is a couple pics to show there is NO issues with baiting with a big emerald and catching perch. A few try to mimic them and tie up a few custom colors which more power to ya. His (BayBornNRaised) color combos and craftsmanship has been proven over and over. Try em you'll see for yourself!" 20180914_160741.jpg 20180914_160741.jpg 20180914_161115.jpg 20180915_105507.jpg

Pole Setter and Skinner 2 like this.
  7. chasing em

chasing em

I got some of BBRs flies just before he closed his store last year. Put one on the top of my 3 hook perch rig last Wednesday in the bay. That fly caught the biggest perch without a doubt. Brian has a quality product there for sure.

Skinner 2 likes this.
  8. steelhead281

steelhead281

Could you post a picture or link

9. steelhead281

steelhead281

Would you mind sending a link or posting some picture of the flies

10. steelhead281

steelhead281

11. steelhead281

steelhead281

I would be interested in seeing the picture of the BayBornNRaised Perch Flies. It would be a shame to let the patterns disappear from the fishing world if they are no longer being produced

12. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Yes that is an awesome fly! I already tie it so have some in my flybox! Will pull a couple out to try them. May tie a coupla special ones... make it a little sparser... see what works best! Thanks for the reminder!

13. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Would like too but can't. Sold all my flies and equipment year ago.

Long shank streamer hook. Red calf hair tail. Silver braided mylay body, white deer tail wing and matched set of white streamer feathers. Feathers set so laid back togeter not splayed outward. Red calf hair throat.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the minnow.

14. UNCLE AL

UNCLE AL

perch flies 0.jpg this is an old flyer, and some of the flies aren't being mass produced anymore. A new flyer is being made.

Skinner 2 likes this.
  15. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

I can't find a picture of the minnow. Its smelt like or emerald type of body. Very lively and tougher scales not slimy. Good size mouth again smelt like. Dont think I ever saw one over 3 or 3 1/2 inches long.