Perch cleaning method

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by rs2, Sep 25, 2020.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I cleaned them that way in college where I could catch easy limits of 7 inchers but never bigger

rs2 likes this.
  2. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

WE like most fish and if i could get someone else to clean them no matter what the technique we d find a way tp prepare them,lol,there in lies the difference between today and yesterday,while attending college NEVER had time to fish,always working to pay for it,today you get a student loan= car,apartment,entertainment;and spend the rest of your life paying for it or hope some politician writes it off as unfair or discriminatory.

jiggin is livin, sureshot006 and rs2 like this.

3. sureshot006

Kind of... if you're smart you spend at least a little time fishing, get scholarships on top of a few loans and pay it all off in 2 years like I did.

4. KI Jim

KI Jim

That video is cool, but 10 seconds is BS. I like mine scaled. I throw them in my Tumbledrum scaler 15-20 at a time. It takes it about 10 min to do its thing, then I dump them out and put in another load. By the time the next load is scaled, the first load is completely fileted and deboned-perfect fillets. I can do 50 by myself in about 40 minutes including clean up. The Tumbledrum does a good job but they still need a bit of touch up with a hand scaler, but this only takes about 5 seconds a fish. BTW, I bought a "Magic" fish scaler a couple years ago and it is absolutely awesome. Weird looking, but by far the best manual fish scaler I have used.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

terrylee86, rs2 and sureshot006 like this.
  5. 50incher

50incher

I tried that method twice, helps when the fish is semi frozen, imo....I remember thinking it would be sweet but I like skin on too....and cutting thru scales after a while, nah....it's a lot harder with a fresh fish, lol....

Funny how the older types cared about "wasting" and even guy's like me sway from that anymore....with some practice I think it would be great for ice fishing....esp. if you keep smaller Perch, fry em like Smelt....I say....

jiggin is livin, rs2 and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

Fry like smelt is what i was doing catching dinks at the Red ridge dam in the UP.

yooperwannabe8714, rs2 and 50incher like this.
  7. yooperwannabe8714

yooperwannabe8714

A fellow Husky I see. When were you there? I was 96-2001. I enjoyed Gratiot lake for perch caught many 14"+ on my walleye tip ups.

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. sureshot006

Graduated 07.

I mainly fished red ridge (caught perch and trout) and Boston pond (lots of pike). Little bit on portage.

Never did fish Gratiot but looking back wish I had explored the local lakes more. Just always so darn busy.

yooperwannabe8714 likes this.
  9. BOEDY

BOEDY

Roofer, please post video of 6 second perch clean, i gotta see this.

William H Bonney, rs2 and snortwheeze like this.
  10. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

That'll be impressive

rs2 likes this.
  11. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I was going to say what others have already said.

My buddies Grandma cooks them this way and they are great, but once you get over ~8" it doesn't work so well anymore.

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. sureshot006

I have done it up to 14" (a perch I caught bass fishing). The skeleton didn't pull out in one piece but it was more like the whole fish you might see on a cooking or restaurant show. Personally I’d draw the line closer to 10" but at that size fileting is easy anyway and a small amount of lost meat isn't as big a deal.

I had forgotten about that 14 incher when I posted previously.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  13. sureshot006

Wow longer ago than I thought. 2015

20150605_203443.jpg

14. Ports

Ports

Another MTU grad here. Only did a little ice fishing for pike through the ice on Chassell bay. For cleaning perch I have the boy scale and I butterfly them. We have the magic scaler too, but its slow. I'm thinking about getting a drum or some mechanical scaler.

Ports

sureshot006 likes this.