People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Did you bother to report them to the DNR?

2. DM90

DM90

Sounds like those need to come down...

3. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

Make the stands disappear, that will teach him to leave his trash on public land.

4. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

If a stand or spot is obviously being used, I steer clear of the area. Lots of land for all of us. Sometimes if there is good sign I will just cut them off by playing the wind, but not always. Advantages of being a ground hunter, primarily. I am as mobile as it gets.

There are some stands that have obviously been there for years and I have never seen anyone hunt them. Maybe they do for rifle, but I avoid the area during rifle season.

I sat in a natural ground blind I found last night. I was following some sign and checking out an area and stumbled on it. Didn't look touched yet this year so I thought it was as good a spot as any. Figured if someone showed up I would just move on. I have no problem doing that.

I have only had ONE time where I was hunting in a spot and someone else walked up to the same area. We talked and he had hunted it previously and I explained I was kinda checking out around this swamp trying to figure out how they move through there and bouncing around with varying winds. He told me what he had seen and we wished each other good luck and I offered to move on. I haven't really had any issues with people on Public ground, but I generally avoid other people to a respectful distance.

5. walleyerick

walleyerick

I drove a loop that I like to do a couple times a week. For the most part, it is a mix of private and state game area. All of the parking spots are full and many more pulled of on the sides of the roads. There appears to be more hunters out there than there are deer. I can see why I see so many deer on the surrounding private ground.

6. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

I've got several $100 Ameristep popup blinds on private land which we leave out 24/7 October-January. Take 'em down, thoroughly clean & dry, ready for next year. Some only last two seasons, others are on their fourth year. Not many bears in Washtenaw county though :)

perchjerker and jstfish48162 like this.
  7. 131north

131north

Is mid-week still the best time to beat some of the crowds from what you guys are seeing?

8. Former grunt

Former grunt

I got back to my truck last night and it's just a little spot big enough for 2 vehicles. There was a truck with a fifth wheel and another truck waiting on the side of the rd for me to leave so they could set up camp at that spot. I did notice hunters and camps seemed to be down some this week but also noticed the weekend warriors rolling in last night.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  9. Chessieman

Chessieman

Yep, they need to pass a law that any stand from the beginning of February are considered abandoned and would be a free to take. The CO's do not have the time to take them down or enforce the present law.

10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Three different camps popped up by my house yesterday, one is on a oak ridge where the idiot made his own trail. Plus one of my ladder stands is now missing.
    Last weekend I turned around in the spot where one camp was set up for youth hunt and last weekend. Both times I've found gut piles and remains of deer. Don't now if there legal kills or not. The garbage they left was ridiculous to say the least.

11. Former grunt

Former grunt

Found part of a trail yesterday someone had freshly cut thru some thick stuff off the side of the road. Made it nice to drag my deer out in the jet sled but makes no since cause the trail damn near cuts into bedding. Guessing it's just lazy hunters trying to have a short easy walk.

jr28schalm and stickbow shooter like this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

This oak ridge was a main feeding area, either they don't deer hunt or just stupid I guess. There are several other spots they could of set up with out F ing the area up.

jr28schalm and Former grunt like this.
  13. Former grunt

Former grunt

Seeing some of the same where I'm hunting, lotta new hunters out here, but looks like some of these new hunters have also already given up on hunting, noticeable difference in pressure between the first 2 weeks. Can't wait for the rifle opener lol

14. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

They be gone on Monday.

15. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Thank God, can't wait until cold nasty weather then all of the fair weather folks will be done.

hmrx, U of M Fan, DM90 and 2 others like this.