People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

Because I was there first. Basic logic. What are you, the hunting version of Old Greg?

2. greense1

greense1

I personally wouldn’t want to hunt anywhere near anyone else and try and actively avoid people but he doesn’t seem to have an issue with it. Was just curious why you thought you had any more right to that public land than him. It appears you think your stand on your private land gives you an extension of ownership into the public land. If you had said I tried to talk to him and it didn’t go well then I’d think differently and the guy is probably a prick. But you found a stand on state land and took a **** on it just because you thought it was “your area” before even interacting with them.

mbrewer, bowhunter42, DM90 and 2 others like this.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Kinda what I was thinking. The guy may have seen sign and hunted it. He could be completely clueless that another hunter was nearby or that there is a food plot 100 yds away.

DM90 likes this.
  4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Worth it, for anyone that hunts Public land. 20% off if you use THP code. I use it to mark all the trails/ paths i use. Every time i hit a new property I recorded all the trails and paths I want to take to the stand. . Radar overlay is nice. Wish it easily showed wind direction like Huntstsnd

Screenshot_20201022-232355_onX Hunt.jpg

20201022_233333.jpg

DM90 likes this.
  5. Fordguy

Fordguy

Puzzling,... It's not that hard to brew your own. Blueberries can make a darn good wine if you can't find any of the really sour wild grapes we have in Michigan. I've made some really good stuff on occasion, let it ferment until it runs out of sugar or the alcohol content gets so high that it kills the yeast, then rack it. Won't freeze in a Michigan winter. Seems like those who are so desperate for a drink would just make their own.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  6. Former grunt

Former grunt

I found acouple out there this year while turkey hunting this year, one during after season scouting that looked fresh enough there was still meat on the bones.

7. triplelunger

triplelunger

Food plots are like sore thumbs on those maps, too! I can slide right up on some loser's property line and hunt the trails headed to his side.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

One would think amd I'm sure some did. Different world up there

9. DM90

DM90

IMO it is the best investment a hunter can make

10. Fordguy

Fordguy

We used it in Wyoming this year. We would have been lost without it. Boundaries aren't marked there, and most of the public land is fenced, grazed, and not posted in the areas we hunted. OnX showed us where the boundaries were and what pieces of public land were accessible.

TriggerDiscipline and Sparky23 like this.
  11. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

The great thing about OnX is it gives you the property lines overlaid on an aerial or topo map. I've found that it's not quite as accurate as county GIS data if you have that available, but it's accurate enough if you're in the field. The other nice feature is you can mark all your stands, rubs, scrapes, strut zones, with custom icons, and keep everything organized. You can also save your maps to use them offline with your phone's GPS. If you hunt a lot of different properties it helps a lot to keep everything organized. Google MyMaps can do a lot of the same stuff, but doesn't have the offline option and the property boundaries as far as I know. There might be a way to overlay county GIS data on a Google Map, but I don't know how.

Another nice feature I use a lot is the aerial-topo hybrid layer, that really helps me make sense of a property and figure out which areas might be worth scouting.

A couple things that I wish it had are wind indicators and weather/wind forecasts, and a feature that tells you what stand would be good to hunt based on the present wind conditions. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to program, especially since users already use custom icons for their stands.

As of now, I have all my stands with nicknames on an excel spreadsheet, with a list of what wind directions will work with each stand, what kind of cover it's around, best season to hunt, and most active times. When I want to hunt, I sort the stands by wind direction and select based on that. I have 20 treestands on 3 parcels of private property and public land. It gets a little overwhelming just considering all this in my head, so OnX is great for making the decision of when and where to hunt.
    I do watch Dan and contribute to the hunting beast forums. Dan's best roadside spots are wetlands. The spot I'm talking about in this thread, and the spots I'm thinking of, are decidedly not wetlands.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  12. Former grunt

Former grunt

Drove around today at the local hunting area and there has been a blow-up on camps, should be interesting when I hopefully get back out to hunt next weekend.

13. Matt3ddsteel

Matt3ddsteel

Lmao... wtf is this

14. Falk

Falk

If you were to do that then you are the loser.

bobberbill and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  15. jexmex

jexmex

I have been using HuntStand, although mostly just for tagging spots. I might have to look into it myself.