People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

jiggin is livin likes this.
  2. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

3. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

No name, but maybe I will hunt it, although that would be kind of redundant as I have a stand a couple hundred yards away hunting the same deer on the same paths. But I might hunt it just for sh*ts and giggles (pun intended). Would like to see the guy's face when he realizes I've beaten him at his own game.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  4. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

Idk, a couple hundred yards? Far enough where we're not hunting on top of another? Far enough that I can't easily shoot him with a rifle? At least so that we're not hunting the same deer on the same path. There's law and there's ethics. I know it's a weird and common thing for Michigan hunters to hunt boundaries, but you know it's just cutting the other guy off and messing with their hunt. Only MI hunters do this. Hunters in other states have common courtesy not to mess with other guys. It's like they're playing checkers or something.

shooter, Former grunt and buggs like this.
  5. Macs13

Macs13

Lmao. I almost fell out of the tree.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

It's not about whether I want to share my land. It's about whether I think it's okay to hunt right on top of other people, hunting the same game trails from stands visible from the road. I have plenty of spots on state land too, but none of them are within 500 yards of another hunter's spot. We have hundreds of thousands of acres of state land up here. There is no reason or need to be hunting with a strategy of shooting a deer before the other guy on the same trail shoots him.

There's a group of guys on the 40 acres of public land next to me that hunt that 40 every year. We have a good relationship, share food/booze/trailcam pics because they respect my boundaries and my hunt. We're probably hunting the same deer, but I can't see them from any of my stands, and they keep a safe distance back.

DM90 and Norman Kaster like this.
  7. Macs13

Macs13

I can hijack it again....

What's the thinking on listening to tunes while sitting in the tree? I don't mean cranking Zepp up on the ole boombox, but I use little earbuds. If it's on a super quiet volume, there's no way a deer could hear that, right? Sometimes I get bored up here. It's everything I can do to not flip on a Jonas Brothers video marathon with my Bartles and James wine cooler.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  8. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

I use apple airpods and listen to podcasts. I don't have very good hearing in the first place.

9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I used to hunt stuff so thick that I'd hear them before they came in.

DM90 and 6Speed like this.
  10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

If agree with this. You need to be far enough away to where you can’t see each other. There is a difference between hunting a property line and having the property owner in the middle of a 20,30,40 acres. Or hunting the property line where you can wave at the property owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buggs and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Yep, especially if you're down wind where you should be...

DM90 and Shoeman like this.
  12. buckguts1970

buckguts1970

Mr.trigger discipline went fishing today and the hot bait was a poopy ladder stand seat. Well played sir.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

On my 110 acres I probably hear the deer coming before I can see it 90% of the time, it's very thick. Basically, if I can see a deer, then its in bow range. If I eliminated my hearing, I'd miss a lot of excitement. Can't speak for other hunters, but I enjoy the sounds of nature over the visual experience. The only aspect of deer hunting more exciting to me than seeing a deer, is hearing it coming over dry leaves, sticks etc.

Maybe if I hunted over a bean field adjacent to a roadway with hundreds of yards of visibility, I might then consider listening to music.

14. Waif

Waif

Two different neighboring properties have major runs cutting corners with mine.
    The one I have not been near for years. A mobility thing. But I cleared out of the entire area when those neighbors hunted. I'd be in their field of fire , IF deer cut the fallow field on their side.
    We don't shoot deer on each others property. But why jam them up?
    The other shared run I've never seen.
    IF someone crowds those runs, deer can be expected to not use them the same. Let alone during daylight.
    Nobody wins that way. Take away the security and deer will chose better options.
    And because of the terrain and such , the major through routes are limited...
    Better deer can pass back and forth , than ruin the security of doing so they have now.

DM90 and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  15. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Walked some state land in Saginaw/gratiot county state game area AKA marion springs. I was able to find an area with no cars around. So I could walk and not screw up any ones hunt However, that was the exception not the rule. Luckily I go up north for the opener. Hopefully it thins out by the 2nd week when I plan on hunting down here.

Found this skull. Im trying to convince my self the horns disappeared after it had been dead for a while. Everybody else can create there own conclusions. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk