People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. DM90

DM90

People are usually nice if you talk to them in the parking lots or on the roads, but the few run ins I've had out in the woods when I am in "their spot" tend to usually involve them making some sort of statement that "this is my spot I've been hunting for "X" amount of years and that you better find another spot or there may be consequences" haha. I just say sorry and move along. You never know who you are talking to and what they are capable of.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    buggs, NbyNW, jiggin is livin and 4 others like this.
  2. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

This is correct. First come, first served.

3. mbrewer

mbrewer

So you want a rule that says - No illegal stands left unattended or no stands left unattended?

Norman Kaster and Waif like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

I hunt a saddle and dont want stands left either. I work at the outdoorsman workshop not internet warrior here. I have no problem in saying the same things to your face. I have ran into a bunch of guys on public this year and we have good convos most of the time. I showed a guy bringing his daughter over 50 trail cam pics and where they were taken to get her pumped. I simply dont like the fact that you are a left wing liberal that drinks before he goes to hunt others stands amd has next to no experience but still try to act as if you know no wrong. You have told some of the most experienced guys on here they were wrong. Listen more talk less man. Anyone who willingly hunts another's stand has balls and no. Again no. 0 sense of being an outdoorsman. Good luck with your crossbow.

5. Mike75

Mike75

I,m sure glad some of you guys don,t hunt near me. Some of you don,t want anyone to scout a spot out and hunt it all season and some of you want to just use the work that others have done. As far as stands being left out it is perfectly legal as long as they are tagged properly you can hunt coyotes from a raised platform and it's open year around no closed season. and for you guys that think sitting other peoples stands just because it,s on state is all right remember the same thing applies to your truck the minute you get out of it .how would you like to come out of the woods to find some jerk sitting in the back of your truck it,s no different.

6. Slimits

Slimits

Wisconsin dont allow people to leave stands

jiggin is livin, DM90 and Waif like this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Good excuse to tell the Mrs. why you can't leave the woods! L.o.l..

Solves the abandon stand issue for forestry/timber/ trees sake.

MoreHuntingPls and DM90 like this.
  8. LuckyBucks

LuckyBucks

Only south of State Highway 64. North of 64 it is legal to leave them overnight. About the northern 1/4 of the state.

DM90 likes this.
  9. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

All I ask on public, if I am the first one to the spot is move on.
    But many of times during firearm I have hunter come in and ignore my lights and sit 30 yards from me.
    I have been known to either go sit with them, go out and take a healthy dump upwind of them, or right at shooting light get up and walk around.
    Once had an old guy sit up right in my shooting lane and faced me. Had the nerve to wave at me. Needless to say at day break a health doe walked behind him, as soon as it was safe from him being in line of fire I dropped her. Man he was upset I ruined his hunt by taking a doe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. DM90

DM90

Personally I don't think any should be allowed to be left unattended, but I know that I am in the minority. What I am saying is that if the law is going to be written this way then people should be at least following the law as it is written. The majority of my issue with stands being left out there is that people tend to set a stand and then never remove it. It eventually grows into the tree and with no proper labeling of the stand there is no way to report the bad actors who are not removing their stands by the required date. People will go buy a bunch of cheap stands and set them up in an area to create the illusion that a bunch of people are hunting in a spot. They just leave them up and if they get stolen it doesn't outweigh the benefit of keeping others out.

buggs, cardiac69 and Sparky23 like this.
  11. fishonjr

fishonjr

What county? In Midland county, only about one mile of the trail actually butts up next to state land. Is that the area you are referring to? I live right by that section so maybe I’ll take a little bike ride this morning. I’ve never noticed any stands next to the trail. There’s a little more in Clare county but not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

12. DM90

DM90

A little food for thought:

1.) "Scaffolds, raised platforms, ladders, steps, and any other device to assist in climbing a tree cannot be placed on public lands any earlier than Sept. 1, and must be removed by March 1. A permanent raised platform or tree stand may be used for hunting on private land with the permission of the landowner. It is unlawful to use an illegal tree stand, scaffold, step, etc., regardless of who placed it on public lands. Your name on a tree stand or ground blind on public land does not guarantee exclusive use." -2020 Michigan Hunting Digest Page 25

2.) "Coyotes may be taken day or night from an elevated platform IF ALL OTHER HUNTING REGULATIONS ARE FOLLOWED." -2020 Michigan Hunting Digest Page 57

3.) "Centerfire rifles and centerfire pistols may NOT be used in state park or recreation areas statewide, or on any public land in the Limited Firearms Deer Zone." -2020 Michigan Hunting Digest Page 57

^^^This debunks your coyote excuse. The law is what it is....stands are required to be removed from public land by March 1, and if you are not following that rule you are violating the law. If you want exclusive rights to a specific place to hunt then maybe its time to lease or buy some land. Sounds like you want those benefits but want it to be free to you...exclusive rights to an area costs money, its simple as that. Public land should be first come first serve.

13. mbrewer

mbrewer

All these public land hunters with the money, time and energy to buy and hang stands just to keep other hunters at bay are a figment of your imagination.

If it can happen, someone has done it before and will again but the exception doesn't make the rule. And a new rule won't cure the exception any more than the current law does.

14. DM90

DM90

Its actually not a figment of my imagination. A guy in my area was reported for this exact thing (along with posting no trespassing signs on public property). Not all stands are expensive, you can go to Walmart and get one for $20. And you are correct, a new rule wouldn't change anything unless there was solid and uniform enforcement of the law. We have a difference of opinion on this one and I'm fine with that, good luck out there this season. Be safe and have fun.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  15. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

And don’t forget a PETA member. When I hear I’m hunting your stand if I find it and I know that person is a PETA member my first thought is hunter harassment, otherwise, why would a PETA member be hunting?

Former grunt and Sparky23 like this.