People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Waif

Waif

I'm not in the public land crunch game today.
    But in the past if someone was using a stand ,(active site/recent use) vs stand not being used mattered.
    I didn't want to hunt where someone else had been or was hunting recently.
    A stand some one is not using in an area I wanted to hunt , I hunted.
    Of course options were had should someone show up and insist they hunt their stand.

There are some buttholes out there. And some great folks.
    Steering clear of each other should be natural.

One public hunt I snuck in , sat on my tripod stool a while and noticed an orange blob on the ground about 30 yards away. Figured somebody lost or tossed a hat.
    About a half hour later the hat floated upward , on someones head!
    It was a guy who lived beyond the property who spent a lot of time out there. And was napping.
    We greeted each other as usual when we crossed paths. And politely argued about who should stay there. He was being overly nice maybe , as I was on crutches.
    I insisted he was there ahead of me and told him where I was going to go sit.

Another public site a co worker had a stand taken.
    He found it in a tree a distance away , with someone hunting out of it....
    He was nicer about it than I might have been.

A stand never stopped me from hunting a site on the rare occasion it was where I figured the "X' to hunt was. Unless obviously an active/used stand.
    Don't recall being near one someone came out to use. So could tell well enough when to be near one I guess.

Always hung my own where others were not hunting.
    One morning a guy ignored my whistle and built a ground blind about forty yards away. I guessed for upcoming firearm.
    Then he never used it.....

A friend had a guy build a blind under his tree when he was in it ,after he asked the guy ,do you mind I'm trying to hunt here! Similar timing before firearm season.
    A day or two later friend arrowed a deer. Dragged it back to the site and into the blind to field dress it. Not saying that was nice. But chuckled about it at the time.

2. DM90

DM90

I agree with you, but the problem is that most people wouldn't handle that scenario in a kind way. There would probably be some sort of threats made towards the person using "their" stand...and then you are stuck up a tree with no way down and a lunatic yelling at you for "stealing their property". It just makes more sense to say that they shouldn't be allowed to be left out.

3. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I would think that if another hunter starts giving you crap you could call in a hunter harrassment report. A couple of pictures and a phone call solves a lot of problems.

Richard Cranium and DM90 like this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

I'd climb up and unwrap it with you in it. Just shows again what an amazingly lazy and slob hunter you are.

Norman Kaster likes this.
  5. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Im convinced the saddle is the way to go. See a stand? Move a little farther away and hunt.

6. dinoday

dinoday

Anyone that wants stands removed and put back up every day should spend a couple days duck hunting a public marsh and find out exactly what it's like trying to hunt a spot someone else wants to hunt.
    By the 2nd or 3rd day you'll head out at 4am trying to beat them only to find out they spent the night there lol.
    Nobody will ever be happy unless things are done the way they want it done.

7. mbrewer

mbrewer

Leave the chip on your shoulder at home and quit playing the victim.

Hunters who do follow the rules shouldn't have to make additional concessions to sooth your butt hurt insecurities.

8. DM90

DM90

I hunt out of a saddle and I've used this tactic, but its not a perfect tactic because the other guy can still show up and yell at you for sitting too close to "their spot"...which brings me back to how leaving a stand out there is pretty much the same thing as "laying claim" in a lot of peoples minds.

9. DM90

DM90

If you re-read my post then you would see that the stands are illegal due to not being labeled (so I'm not talking about those who follow the rules). The point is that the vast majority do not follow this specific rule.

10. brushbuster

Yeah it is but there are a lot of people out there who cant hunt mobile. It comes down to common sense. Move out of sight and the guy in the stand will be non the wiser.

11. brushbuster

I don't blame them, I hate the thought of leaving my address out in the public lands for some kook to harass me, because I hunted in his spot.

Justin, U of M Fan, NbyNW and 6 others like this.
  12. Macs13

Macs13

I'm not sure why you think that you know me or how I hunt. I'm not sure what I did to personally offend you so much. I'll assure you that assume makes an ass out of u and me (that's an old word play joke in case you didn't get it).

Read this thread. Read the stuff that came before and after my post. Most people agree with my stance and YOU are the hypothetical a-hole in their scenarios.

Lastly, as I've said many times, say that to my face mr internet warrior. I drive a Denali. I'm the guy with the facial piercings and carrying a Ravin R10. I hunt Jackson County public mostly. You cannot mistake me. If you see me, let me see how brave you are. I strongly believe in being polite and sensible, but I'll happily show you the game of picking your teeth out of the dirt.

If you want to talk about a slob or a lazy person, that's all of the dudes leaving their stand up, so presumably you judging by your comment. I pack my Summitt climber in and out with me every time that I intend to hunt from above, but i CERTAINLY will not allow a slob such as yourself to disenfranchise me of a hunting area that I want to sit on public because you decided to lazily leave your stand there. If you are there or if it looks like a frequently used stand, I'm going to keep on trucking because I'll assume that you are a beer swilling pig that knows nothing about scent control and I don't like to hunt blown out spots.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

DM90 likes this.
  13. DM90

DM90

You do not have to write your address on the stand. You are allowed to use your drivers license number or DNR sportscard number if you do not want to leave your name and address. Choosing not to label it properly in any circumstance is a violation. It is no different than any other game violation. If people actually labeled their stands and removed them on the date that is required (if they ever remove them at all) then people wouldn't have as much of an issue with it, but people aren't following those laws and use it to get a leg up on everyone else. It's really not that hard to hang a stand/ pop up a blind, hunt, and take it down. Plus no one would have their stuff stolen. I understand if you have some sort of disability that prevents you from being able to do so (and the laws usually make sure that those individuals can have accommodations made to help them out), but everyone else is just making excuses.

14. Macs13

Macs13

As an aside, and I know that I speak with the caveat of only being in my second hunting season, but the few times that I've met other hunters in the field, or more precisely the parking area usually, they have been anywhere between cordial and very nice. Do you guys really run into jerks frequently? If so, I guess I've just been lucky.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. Waif

Waif

My stands had black magic marker for I.D. writing.
    Yes , it could be read from the ground despite the camo paint. It required binoculars is all.

What the difference is in someones ability to hunt because a stand that is not theirs is properly labeled or not escapes me though.

It can be a slalom course dodging other hunters.
    But don't hunters expect deer to be trying to do the same?
    More so around established used stands.

If every quarter acre has stands , I'd ground hunt while plotting where else to go scout with lower hunter numbers.
    My last public hunt after prepping a wheelchair entry prior showed a half dozen hunters in the first hour of daylight. It was the result of change. Throughout the past decade room was to be had. It was simply time to move on again , or expect to continue to hunt in a crowd...

mbrewer and DM90 like this.