People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Agreed with some....

2. Big CC

Big CC

North Woods Law is seriously the only show that my 12 year old daughter will watch with me. With zero previous interest in the outdoors she now wants me to take her fishing every weekend and is almost done with the online hunter ed course so she can squirrel hunt with me in Jan and Feb.
    Sorry a little off topic, but all the DNR comments made me smile. I’m loving the time outdoors with her!

3. Former grunt

Former grunt

Definitely alot of people out this weekend, trees that have been marked for logging since last spring are now being taken down and the loggers don't seem to be in a hurry.

4. skipper34

skipper34

I was up scouting our public land hunting area in the NELP yesterday. Saw one truck parked and I knew who it was that was hunting. In other words, no pressure on the deer from what I saw. I cannot imagine having more hunters during firearm season in this area. Low deer population will keep the gangs away. Just how I like it.

Stubee likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin

My area has been crazy busy. Lots of bow hunters but way more dirt bikers and quad riders. They have most roads impassable in a truck. Logging is going on full speed. The spot I've hunted for twenty years is basically gone. I've got other spots but trying to predict where all the guys will be is a challenge. The loggers are creating new roads everywhere and that will hurt things. For the most part, they are doing a beautiful job, leaving more trees than they used too. Makes me wish I was a young man again. Hunting these cuttings will be awesome in the future.

DM90, Norman Kaster and Gone Coastal like this.
  6. mbrewer

mbrewer

Walking and chewing gum at the same time.

When are they supposed to do paperwork if not during work hours? Doing it while parked at a boat launch sounds better to me than sitting in a cubicle.

7. fishonjr

fishonjr

The areas I’ve been hunting in mid state haven’t seen an increase of people yet. This past Saturday morning I drove around some sections of state land. In one square mile, there were only two spots where trucks had pulled in and parked that looked even remotely fresh. I also drove a two track at 10:30 am and was the first person on it that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. DM90

DM90

Hunted a spot in SELP on friday evening that I scouted during the spring and late summer. Ran into two hunters about to walk in for the evening parked on the side of the road smoking a joint with their crossbows cocked and laying on the bed cover of their truck. They seemed annoyed that I would ask what direction they were heading (I told them I was only asking so I could give them some space). I then headed for my plan B location and found two stands (both unlabled) where there hadn't been anything in late august. I then moved on to my plan C location and found another unlabled stand. I ended up hunting from the ground because it got too late for me to set up in a tree....All of these spots were more than 3/4 mile from the nearest parking and around a thick nasty marsh. This is where I get annoyed with the fact that it is legal to leave stands on public land. I ended up being the only truck in the parking area when I walked out, so I ended up not hunting where I wanted to based on the fact that there were stands there and someone "might" show up to hunt those stands. I try to give people space when I see a stand and assume that they could show up to hunt at anytime and I don't want the confrontation if I am hunting "too close" and they show up (you never know who you could run into out there)....These guys could have hung those stands and might not hunt them until gun season. The point is that no matter what people on here say, there are people who try to "claim" public land spots and they won't put their names on their stands specifically so they don't get caught. Some of these stands get left out and trash up the woods too. I really believe with the higher volume of public land users these days that its time to get rid of the law that makes it legal to leave stands and blinds on public land (especially in Zone 3). It would take the guess work out of having to wonder if it is "someones spot" and make it "first come first serve" ,as it should be.

9. dinoday

dinoday

Some guys hate that others can leave a stand out and others hate that every morning and afternoon you have to wonder when some guy with a climber and Google Earth that thinks he found the perfect spot will wonder right into you.
    That's the joy and curse or public land.

Justin, 131north, fishnpbr and 7 others like this.
  10. DM90

DM90

I'd rather deal with the "climber guy" and have that conversation than deal with the guy who is trying to lay claim to something that is public by word of the law....9 out of 10 stands I find on public land aren't labeled with any owner information and therefore are illegal for anyone to use.

11. dinoday

dinoday

Personally I'm tired of the conversation with climber guy and don't blame anyone for not labeling their treestand.
    I've had a dozen stolen over the years (yes I had my information on it)and now a dozen thieves have my name and address.
    If I see a stand I go somewhere else, simple.

12. Chessieman

Chessieman

So you climb the stand and tie wrap a tag with your name on it. Just remember to remove the tag afterward or leave a joke tag (i.e. a complaint or sorry about the pile but accidents happen).

13. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Take a hike on the Midland to Mackinac trail right now and you can find dozens of tree stands and most aren't labeled. We are trying to get our local DNR officers to take a hike.

14. Macs13

Macs13

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if it isn't popular opinion on here. If you put up your stand on public and leave it there, I thank you for giving me a stand to hunt from on that day. Sometimes I climb them just to get a better view of the area. Regardless, placing a stand gives you ZERO rights to the area and I'll happily have that conversation if somebody forces it. Now, OF COURSE, if I were to be sitting somebody else's stand and they showed up and said hey, that's my stand, I'd simply wish them luck and head off in a different direction. In the end, I figure that a stand that's unused on a particular day by the owner of the stand is free to use by anybody else.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. DM90

DM90

The only way a stand gets stolen is if you leave it out there. If people don't want their stuff stolen then they should take it out with them when they leave. I've done exactly what you just said so many times (move on when I find a stand), but that ends up leaving you with no where to go in the areas that I hunt. Why should I have to "just move on" when a guy puts a stand in a spot and only hunts it a few times a year?....Yes, I could choose to hunt there and take the chance, but like I said before, "you never know what kind of person you could run into" if you chose to hunt the spot and the guy does show up...too many people think that their stand placed in an area makes it "their spot". They don't know the laws.