People everywhere!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DirtySteve, Oct 3, 2020.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Man I took a drive today up to roscommon area just me and the dog. I have hunted most of the small game season and this was my third weekend in the same area. There were people in the woods like i havent seen in 20 yrs. Lots of bird hunters, deer hunters, duck hunters, quad riders, campers, people cutting firewood... you name it i saw it. I got out at my first spot and within 5 minutes 7 cars passed on this two track. Up until this weekend I had seen a total of 3 bird hunters and hadnt actually ran into one in the woods. Today 3 spots i stopped i had trucks parked next to me when i came out. Ran into two groups in the woods.

Deer hunters were everywhere. I saw something really odd today. I came out on a two track I parked on. This is a very busy two track as it is part of an ORV trail in that section. A truck was parked 60 yards from mine. I saw a guy sitting on the ground next to a telephone pole. It looked like he was working on a bow or something. I loaded up the dog and got in my vehicle. I slowly drove by and noticed an overweight middle guy sitting on the ground. He looked out of breath. He was leaning up against the telephone pole no more tha. 40 yards from his truck and he was hunting on the side of the trail. I thought he was having an issue of some sort so i rolled down my window. I asked if he was ok he looked at me and said yeah i am just hunting. I looked and sure enough he had his crossbow cocked and ready. He had a cigarette and a vernors in the other hand.....just waiting for a deer to step on that trail i guess. His camp was no more than 150 yards away with 8 trucks and 3 campers. People all around talking getting ready to go out. I said good luck and carried on.

2. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

[​IMG]
    "How do people hunt? Do they just sit and wait for the deer?"

"Well, ya gotta pick a good spot first!"

3. on a call

on a call

Why is it ?? People hunt deep in the woods, along fence lines out .5 miles from a road. Whe People should be hunting along busy roads, highways ? Heck I know a few areas that are loaded with deer, big bucks too. Just Friday I saw a nice large 8 along the entrance to 75 at 16 mile road. I would guess a 130 class buck. Maybe I should sit there opening morning with my shotgun ?? Are you allowed to hunt out of the back of your truck ???

Shhh....do not hunt there just because I told you he is there.

4. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

you can't fix stupid! last time i check, deer can't read.

5. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

Outdoor recreation has boomed with Covid. Boating, camping, hunting. I saw somewhere recently that hunting license sales are up 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. wpmisport

wpmisport

State Land is going to be busy this year and accidents of all kinds will probably increase.

Justin, DM90, Richard Cranium and 3 others like this.
  7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I drove a loop last night and there was only 4 cars parked in the state land block I checked. On a Saturday evening? I can't believe we let the deer off the hook like that. And they were moving, too, because I saw about a dozen in one private ag field to the west and another few in the private ag field on the north end. Quite a few little bucks. Then a big buck was in someone's front yard about a mile away. I tried to back up for a picture, but he didn't stick around.

"No one goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

The state land I've been on is busy. My number 2 spot or was evidently was many's number 1 as I've seen 8 cars parked at one spot already and 3 more on road within half mile. Almost every parking space all through the public is occupied. Hunting the lack of people more than the deer

DanSS26, MichMac, DM90 and 1 other person like this.
  9. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Bummer this seasons deadpool is sure to see an increase, be safe guys and watch out for the kids we've lost two so far because of irresponsible adults.....

DM90, Glock1911 and shotgun12 like this.
  10. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

To think that a large fraction of them will have semi auto's and will be shooting running deer and none will give any thoughts about their backdrop and when confronted after shooting someone will give the same stupid goober hunter answer- "What?.......well I didn't know...."
    Again be safe out there guys
    MI's a shìtshow compared to other states when it comes to deer hunting.

11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

It will be just like the memories of my childhood.

All we would need is to add about 300k more hunters and maybe another 500k antlerless deer in the northern lower. Sprinkle in an occasional spike to get those hunters fired up.

12. TJD

TJD

This year is like no other. I’ve got pop up blinds appearing next to all my tree stands on shared permission spots. Years ago, it seemed like when someone came upon another’s tree stand, they would move on and find another location, now it seems like the think to themselves “oh hey, there’s a Tree stand, maybe I should sit here too”

The real over the top moment for me this year was finding one of my portable stands and climbing sticks moved over about 20 yards. When I ran into the guy that moved it, he proceeded to argue with me that it was HIS stand and he had been hunting out of it for years. He also appears to have been checking the sd cards from my trail cam nearby. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to my trip to Missouri.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    DanSS26, Sparky23, DM90 and 10 others like this.
  13. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Lots of folks around here. More squirrel and bird hunters then I can remember seeing in a long time plus guy's trying to haul in those rotten @$$ Salmon. Kinda funny but there is a big older popple stand next to my place. Every few hours a new group of bird hunters pulls in and give it a go. They must see all the tire tracks and think this must be the spot lol. I haven't put up a bird in there in several years . I don't hunt or fish on the weekends, not into combat sports.

14. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

At one of my public parking spots someone had had a big campfire and crapped all over the place. Someone even left a huge pair of tighty whiteys there. Boy you can sure tell when deer season starts. Gonna hunt the backside of that spot opening day those bozos always push deer out of there.

jiggin is livin, DM90 and Glock1911 like this.