Pennsylvania CWD Results are in

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

No, I haven't. I have been collecting pieces of the CWD puzzle, following new detections, wildlife agency response, gathering stats, etc. I wouldn't say I am "well aware", just well read and take a lot of notes. I've also developed a connection with a couple CWD experts that I've been able to discuss thoughts and questions. There are definitely patterns that seem to be developing.

2. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Ultimately this needs to be addressed if the state is actually concerned at stopping the spread. Years ago they were picked up by the county. When the county wanted money for doing this ( removing state owned deer) the practice or procedure stopped. Which we have now leave them or drag them off the right of way. Both of which helps to spread the disease rather than helps to contain it.

Also keep in mind the data contained is in the infancy or start in Michigan. As far as found CWD along roadside will change as the disease increases. Not just by the percentage of increase but data so far suggests deer with CWD has a 30% increase of mortality.

jr28schalm likes this.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I think that the state(DNR) has clearly demonstrated their concern for this disease. Looking at the numbers compiled, picking up roadkills is not the area to spend a lot of very limited money.

L & O

4. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

Wow. Reads like a few here think they have all the answers to solve CWD. Next up on MSF, the cure for cancer.

jr28schalm likes this.
  5. motdean

motdean

Not completely unlike having an APR study area to study the effect on spread and prevalence of CWD that will not measure the spread and prevalence of CWD.

What was the estimated price tag on that again?

Rut-N-Strut, Hunters Edge and mbrewer like this.
  6. swampbuck

swampbuck

They could just eliminate seasons. Hunt year around and unlimited $2 tags.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. swampbuck

swampbuck

And spending a boat load of money on it without it being approved.

The puppet masters time is short, and he can take his special interest with him.

I think Com. Tracey has that deal derailed. And with the growing consensus against MAPR'S in science and the states, I think you can stick a fork in it.

8. G20man

G20man Banned

All this talk is nothing but look.....
    Aprs caused cwd.
    Aprs will help fight cwd
    Baiting is bad
    Baiting has no effect.
    On and on.

What ever argument these guys can come up with for the health of the herd they will use if it fits their opinions.

It's exactly that and nothing more.

RF Pro likes this.
  9. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Post of the year

10. jatc

jatc

We actually solved that nasty illness about six years ago on this board but big pharma threatened to get the site shut down if we didn’t cease and desist... so we complied to allow us to keep harping on each other about APR’s and baiting. Priorities!

jr28schalm, RF Pro and Hunters Edge like this.
  11. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

LOL! It's a far reaching issue, going well beyond the "walls" of this forum, mostly propagated by hocus pocus and do as I say not as I do.

12. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

There will always be another one with there hand out. Next one might be even better

13. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Dont forget about the shoe salesman rolling around on the beach hunting nothing but apr areas

14. swampbuck

swampbuck

I certainly don't claim a cure or a cause, but there are certain things that have become clear.

Protecting young bucks and increasing old ones, high deer density, baiting, concentrating deer, are all a bad idea. As demonstrated in several states.

I think they all should be banned in the zone and a significant buffer zone.

Beyond that I think a statewide baiting ban is an over reach that will have negative consequences.

I also have not suggested repealing the NW12 because that would also be an over reach. Although I am certainly not a fan of those regs.

PWood, Dale Malusi and motdean like this.
  15. G20man

G20man Banned

Yet you focus more on some things over the others.