Pennsylvania CWD Results are in

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Jun 21, 2019.

1. motdean

motdean

I have posted on here a few times that we should take a look at the Pennsylvania results for CWD.

Well, I checked early this morning and they were not posted.
    They are now.

Look at the jump for 2018.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildlife-RelatedDiseases/Documents/Positive CWD in Free-Ranging Deer by Township.pdf

upload_2019-6-21_21-30-2.png

Sure, a few public speakers at the NRC meeting touted that Pa increased the antlerless harvest by 10% , but to make a 56% increase in CWD cases in a year.... Yikes!

Not a wonder they are looking into sharp shooters.

I wonder if this will be a wake up call to anyone either in Pa or Mi?

2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Probably not.

jr28schalm likes this.

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

4. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

So what? As with many posts I've seen on this forum, I fail to see the point with this one as well. Wisconsin found more positives than that just in out-of-season surveillance in less time. That doesn't even include what they found during hunting season over that same time period. Maybe you could share with us your point?

BTW....The jump from 2016-2017 was actually bigger than 2017-2018. Just saying.

5. motdean

motdean

I suspect you've been around long enough to get the point.

6. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

I'd rather not jump to conclusions or make assumptions, choosing instead to allow a poster room for clarification. The lack of a relatively simple explanation does strengthen my initial thoughts though.

7. motdean

motdean

8. jatc

jatc

Ummm.... Because CWD is spreading throughout the deer herd in Pennsylvania maybe?

Pretty much the exact same thing that is happening in every other state across the country.

I still can’t believe the number of people that are arrogant enough to think we humans actually can control a disease in a free ranging animal herd based on hunting regulations or even “targeted” sharpshooter usage.

APR or no APR. Baiting or no baiting. Food plots or no plots. Sharpshooters or no sharpshooters. None of it matters in the grand scheme as this disease moves through the herd. Seriously, you guys really need to get that through your heads and just move on.

michiganreaper, TJD, giver108 and 7 others like this.
  9. LuckyBucks

LuckyBucks

Were the number of deer tested each year the same or have they been testing more deer in recent years?

Sparky23 likes this.
  10. motdean

motdean

So are you saying there is no merit in the CWD Management Plan?

Should they allow baiting all over the state again?
    Should they allow cervid transport throughout the state? Interstate?
    Should they stop testing for it altogether?
    Should people simply eat what they shoot and not bother getting it tested?

Where to you draw the line?

Sorry if I don't agree. I think there are logical things that can be done to limit the spread. They have been outlined in the management plan. I will take it a step further....If I can't get it tested, I am not shooting it. Period.

I will crack the door a bit more and ask what if it jumps the species barrier?
    Fear mongering? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Trout King and stickbow shooter like this.
  11. motdean

motdean

That is a very good question. I have been looking for additional data without success.

I will also go a bit further to state that Michigan changed the reporting chart some time ago. I preferred the previous method....although they do share the number tested and confirmed cases.

12. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Back home to Michigan, Van Buren and Iosco
    Looks like their plan is working. The numbers more than doubled four years in a row, but only increased by 55.6% last year....

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Dale Malusi likes this.
  13. motdean

motdean

It depends on what your definition of success is. Spreading geographically and adding another 2300 sq miles should not be seen as a positive.

I would like to add that if they believe that they are being successful, they surely wouldn't need to bring in sharpshooters. They must NOT be taking enough antlerless deer.

https://pagame.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=cf5aa9463b464dcebefaff06b451edd0

upload_2019-6-23_6-35-3.png

upload_2019-6-23_6-35-56.png

14. jatc

jatc

No way to regulate scavengers which are exactly why this disease seems to jump from area to area. Turkey buzzards and ravens/crows are much more efficient conduits than man.

The money spent to research CWD should be used to design a field test so hunters can know immediately if the deer they harvested is infected. If govco backs the research financially, a private company can produce the kits and the cost should be negligible for those that feel the need to test their deer.

As far as jumping the species barrier, like I said before we can’t control Mother Nature.

The “plan” as we know it now is nothing more than typical “looks like we are doing something” theory from state agencies that are tasked with managing our resources. Nothing they can really do about the eventual spread, but they also know that if they don’t at least appear to be doing something that a bunch of people are going to blame them for CWD.

Notice how every new rule change is prefaced with “this will only work if hunters 100% buy in and follow the plan”. That my friend is nothing more than a “cover thy ass” statement from a group of people who are preemptively shifting the blame off of themselves and to a different group. Any plan that more than likely will not followed by the majority is really not a plan. Too many people just want someone to blame and the state agencies are the first target.

G20man, Tracker83, sniper and 2 others like this.
  15. motdean

motdean

Thank you for providing the detail behind your thoughts.

I also agree that there are many stakeholders here... farmers, cervid facilities, baiters, non-baiters, APR advocates, anti-APR folks, etc.