Pennsylvania CWD Press Conference

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by IceHog, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

lol. Joe, there is not a single township in the state that comes remotely close to 100 DPSM. I know, I know a couple of years ago you saw about 20 deer in a 20 acre soybean field in the Lansing area and jumped to the conclusion that this section probably had over 400 deer full time resident deer. Well, it's just not true. Have you ever once looked at the Harvest Reports that come out annually ?

L & O

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Actually, a couple years ago I drove around with a farmer who leased lots in a square mile section south of Lansing. EVERY green field of his (and other farmers) had anywhere from 15 - 40 deer. We counted well over a hundred deer that day.
    This year during the few occasions I had to hunt small plot in Livingston county, I could see up to 20 deer at a time. Every time we drove around the area, it was pretty much the same situation in any green field we encountered.
    These areas are both just outside of the CWD zone.
    <----<<<

3. Piranha man

Piranha man

How many caves of bats did our dnr exterminate in fear of the bats spreading white nose disease?
    Answer - NONE 0
    How many bodies of water did our dnr drain or poison because of the fear of waterfowl helping spread whirling disease among fish habitats?
    Answer- NONE 0
    Was the population of waterfowl decimated to slow the spread of whirling?
    Answer- NO
    How many hives/colonies of honey bees were destroyed by our dnr because of chalkbrood a disease transmitted to other bees?
    Answer- NONE 0
    Is there a fear of these diseases spreading to livestock?
    My guess NO
    WAKE up Outdoorsman

4. Piranha man

Piranha man

Joseph, if the farmer wasn't profitable he would have quit Leasing Property in those areas. If a farmer complains about too many deer a great option is to contact our DNR and enroll in H.A.P more hunters= less deer not to mention HAP = $$$$ (thank you sportsman). A lot of hunters quit hunting because of lack of places to hunt.
    Why can I plant a acre of Bean or 5-acre of corn and still have bean and corn come December? How much damage are the deer causing to the hundreds of Acres of bean and corn in my section? There is many more things besides deer that can cause loss of bushels to Farmers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    jr28schalm, sniper and Sparky23 like this.
  5. Joe Archer

Two of his fields went down as COMPLETE losses and he was paid through crop insurance. The leased properties were hunted by the owners and there was a lot of tension with owners (and neighbors) when the farmer obtained crop damage permits and started taking doe. So much tension that I haven't been able to go out there and help him with population reduction for the past two years.
    The bottom line is that the owners maintained hunting rights, and did not want population densities reduced.
    <----<<<

6. jatc

jatc

So why does the farmer continue to lease it then? If he chooses to continue to plant crops on land that he knows ahead of time will not produce a profit, that is just a dumb business decision. Sounds like he is just milking the insurance system to me.

Tracker83 and Piranha man like this.
  7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Are you saying that this farmer thought that he had the right to hunt or kill deer on property that he had only leased to farm ? I guess it's possible, but wow-------the guy either is clueless about leasing or is just a poacher. Likewise, if you were hunting on that property without the consent of the actual owners you were trespassing and each deer you took was poaching.
    Hope you weren't clueless also and got permission to hunt.

L & O

8. Joe Archer

It's a long story.
    Short version - lease included verbiage for the farmer to be allowed deer management with appropriate permits. All was well until neighbors started complaining. Owner ASKED the farmer to stop.
    End of (short) story.
    <----<<<

9. Piranha man

Piranha man

Some of my best friends and hunting partners are farmers. And in high deer density areas they're smart, they use crops that they turn into silage thats cut early or plant hay or winter wheat.with those crops there's very minimal crop damage and no need to upset neighbors (like me) by slaughtering/decimate the Whitetail. However, in fields around me (+/-2miles) you'll never see more than a couple groups or more than 6 deer in at the same time.