Pennsy 2020

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by kroppe, Nov 3, 2020.

1. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Started hunting in Clearfield county in 1976 with friends that have a camp on leased land from the state of PA. Have hunted there over 20 times over the years and was planning on going this year, but we have several guys coming to camp from out state plus locals, so considering the COVID situation decided to pass this year. Hope to be back there next year.

We’ve had some great hunts with good friends over the years. Good luck this year and be safe.

I’ll miss the traditional Monday after thanksgiving opener. Hope MI never switches from November 15

kroppe likes this.
  2. kroppe

kroppe

Clearfield County, a pretty part of the state. Each region of PA has a unique character because of the changing terrain, forest and watersheds.

3. kroppe

kroppe

Weather for the Saturday gun opener is looking good - mid-upper 40s and no rain. Same on Sunday. I plan to post some LFTS if I have a cell signal.

4. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

There’s some pretty wild country and a lot of steep hills, with plenty of mountain Laurel. If you’re headed east on I 80 and you see the sign “HighestPoint On I80 East Of The Mississippi” look to you’re right just after that sign and that’s where our camp is built on PA game lands.

Lots of deer killed around that camp.

anagranite and kroppe like this.
  5. kracker

kracker

Already in camp. Rolled in and set up on Tuesday. Earliest I ever set up camp. Rained all of last night and part of the morning.....dry weather will be welcome. Great night tonight as we digest Thanksgiving diner by the campfire.. A couple of short hikes have revealed plenty of sign in a few different areas, will decide on a spot after tomorrow mornings hikes. Good luck to all the PA guys.

BucksandDucks, kroppe and anagranite like this.
  6. kroppe

kroppe

Great to hear @kracker ! My son and I will roll into town tomorrow mid day, do a quick scout and pick a place to sit. First time hunting this property for us, and the permission came together late. It is definitely good habitat and there are deer around, the question is will their pattern and opening day pressure work in our favor.

Weather is upper 40s and partly sunny, should work well. Drove through central PA mountains in the dark and rain last night, what a pain.

Shoot straight!

BucksandDucks likes this.
  7. 338 Federal

338 Federal

Good luck, guys. I am a new member and I am a Pennsylvania resident. I will be heading to our hunting cabin in a couple hours to meet my friends. We’ll be out there tomorrow morning.

BucksandDucks and kroppe like this.
  8. kroppe

kroppe

Welcome @338 Federal ! What county or WMU are you hunting?

We rolled into town a few hours ago and did a quick scout. Good sign - 3 large active scrapes, 2 fresh rubs and plenty of fresh droppings. All in our shooting lanes.

My son is sitting in a good spot, I’m trying to get him his first deer. I am hunting a creek bottom, pictured below. This is a pretty parcel in a pretty part of PA. The view in the photo is a typical scene through most of the state.

The spot we are hunting has an open field adjacent to the creek, which then flows though a beech-maple-hemlock forest, a relatively common forest type in PA. The terrain has a wide flat area near the creek, then rises steeply away from the creek, beginning around 150 yards away from each creek bank.

1A2341FE-EDE3-4980-89FE-8B5D89B789B7.jpeg

Vortex, Waif, Ieatshrooms and 5 others like this.
  9. 338 Federal

338 Federal

I’m in 4C. We have 4 of us hunting tomorrow.

kroppe likes this.
  10. steveh27

steveh27

I have hunted for over 10 years in Greene County the sw most county. Cancer, hip replacement and stem cell transplant have stopped me last year and this year. I hope to be there next year. My brother is out today on 300 acres of private with his buddy, the owner and others. They also lease the 200+ acres next to them. It is very hilly. Nice bucks are taken every year. I do not like the Sat opener and Sun hunting. Too soon after Thanksgiving. I much preferred the Mon opener.

Waif and kroppe like this.
  11. 338 Federal

338 Federal

Yeah, I’m back and forth in my opinion on it. I just spent a week hunting in Vermont so it is kind of nice not having to take more time away from work.

it sounds like you guys have a great spot. We are hunting on public land. We have a cabin on 13 acres but it backs up to public land. So far, we have only seen a couple doe.

Waif and kroppe like this.
  12. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I could look at that all day and be happy, deer or no deer. Beautiful. Good luck to you and your son

jeffm and kroppe like this.
  13. kroppe

kroppe

A view from my spot early this morning. My son hunted a wide open field with active scrapes and fresh sign.

No deer shot or seen for us. Today was the PA gun opener, and my son counted 43 shots, most during the afternoon. It rained three times on us, moderately heavy, but short in duration. After noon, the sky partially cleared and there was some sun. Light wind through the day.

On the drive back into town, we saw two deer on the road, go figure. A guy loosely in our "group" hunting 20 miles away shot an 8 point, but wasn't able to track him tonight. They will search for it tomorrow morning, I hope they find it.

We will be out again in the morning. It will be in the 20s overnight, but with a forecast high of 53, it should be OK. Tomorrow is our last day hunting. Monday my son heads back to Washington DC and I head back to the Hoosier State.

34EECFF4-F378-44A3-915A-5BCD78CDB2E6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Vortex, Waif, Fool'em and 2 others like this.
  14. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

B3028267-CF05-4F03-96AB-7CCB4BF857C7.jpeg 637FA610-BB7F-422B-9F7E-E2BFD14BF02A.jpeg 99DB1363-E099-458F-A8E6-E1AF0487F801.jpeg 3B4D7C51-9641-4199-902B-D9031687A33F.png
    had a great time out there Bear hunting with my son Maverick! What a cool place to just walk around! Wish it would have been deer season because we had plenty of opportunities on good bucks! Definitely try it again but maybe muzzleloader next time!

kroppe, Waif and Stubee like this.
  15. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Nicer buck

Attached Files:

Vortex, Stubee and kroppe like this.