Pellet smoker thoughts

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by Lumberman, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Looking for advise on my pellet smoker.

I traded in my Weber performance and Bradley smoker for a Grilla Silverbac with all the bells and whistles a few weeks ago.

Most things about it I really like.

I am having a few issues.

1. It’s very slow to warm up. I cook outdoors regularly for the family and it slows the process down when the 1st 20-25mins are just warm up.

2. I’m using a ton of pellets. This is going to be considerably more expensive the charcoal or my Bradley.

3. My first smoke it burned out in the middle of the night so when I woke up the meat was ice cold. Hasn’t done it again since but now I’m afraid to leave it alone. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

4. The cover is almost impossible to get on and off. Haha. Sounds silly but it’s getting annoying

Any tips, tricks, or thoughts?

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Define a ton of pellets. 10lbs per hour? I am considering getting a pellet smoker and have seen a wide range of fuel consumption.

3. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Yea I hear ya. Lots of conflicting information out there.

I would say I’m running 2-4lbs an hour. Which is way in the high side. That being said it’s been very cold. A few guys have told me there is a break in period where it uses more pellets. Time will tell.

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

4 lbs per hour does seem excessive. I heat my house at around 3-4 lbs per hour. The cold temp and almost no insulation could explain your usage but a break in cycle seems like bs.

5. woody1963

woody1963

After a lot of research this is the way to go. The best built and the absolute best customer service. Check out there website. I am a retailer for these and just started using them. Great product.

Attached Files:

6. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

Love my Traeger, that thing makes people think I am really good at smoking.

Pellets have the same amount of BTU's regardless if they are burned in yours or mine. So with that said, pellet consumption is driven by the thermostat and in the end is a direct result of heat loss. While I use my smoker all winter long of particular note I do a prime rib at Christmas and leg of lamb on New Years Day. For that reason I bought a welding blanket to drape over the smoker. Huge difference in pellet consumption when it is cold out.....I don't have an accurate estimate but it probably cut it in half. Helps to have a remote meat thermometer so you never have to lift the lid....if you have all the bells and whistles I am guessing it does. Traeger made a blanket also but not near as heavy duty.

7. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I think you are right. I’ve noticed a complete considerable difference now that it’s warmed up. I’ll have to look into a blanket.

And yes it has a built in remote meat thermometer which is very nice.

Last edited: May 3, 2018