Patience Meets Reward

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Smith&Brownie, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

We are getting amped up for the new season. Tree stands are going up and cameras are being hung in the next couple weeks. Still need to get some more seed in the ground for a food plot or two. I am addicted to the preparation of it all.

Here is a trailer for the new videos we captured from last fall, hope you enjoy it. Let us know how your pre-season is going in the comments below!

2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

My pre-season has pretty much been the norm for me so far this year.
    I have only THOUGHT about shooting the bow a few times so far, but have been enjoying the rivers and putting tons of 'eyes in the boat.
    It won't be long until the shift is unavoidable though....
    <----<<<

R.J.M., sparky18181 and Smith&Brownie like this.

3. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Patience? Reading your posts sounds like planning and work?

A false statement made from deer hunters who own land and into habitat improvement once a deer is shot, "now the work begins". If your not actually working on the ground your working your mind. Planning is the first step toward success.

Of course sometimes things do fall in your lap. Usually once tags are filled you do get a respite. Otherwise here is a partial list applying herbicide, lime and fertilizer. Planting seed by broadcasting, drill, planter. Ordering seed, trees, and shrubs. Planting trees and shrubs. Fencing, wrapping to protect trees and shrubs. Hinge cutting, and felling trees for browse. Creating travel corridors, bedding and screens. Placing trail cams and stands. Upkeep of stands, and safety equipment and blinds. Filling propane tanks. Trails upkeep and maintenance of those trails and access. Cutting, mowing and pruning. Irrigating trees and/or plots. Add water holes or keeping them filled etc., etc.

I guess misery likes company. I am glad to read I am not the only one addicted and loves abuse or preperation. Even though once all the above is done or more and many times still requires patience to be successful. The threads " patience meets reward" does not accurately depicts the means for success. Nor does it accurately depicts the time/work used or preperation before season. I think a more accurate meaning would be "preperation meets reward". Other than that, nice video, thanks for sharing/posting. Best of luck/work toward your 2019 season.

Smith&Brownie and Osceola like this.
  4. JPWARD

JPWARD

3C32AE52-C3B5-4CFE-A364-45AC11D17445.jpeg
    Corn and soybeans are finally sprouting here in northern lower. Love planting the buffet and having to not disturb the area come hunting season with baiting. Having deer coming into a field from all directions difficult to hunt with short range equipment but I enjoy seeing deer as much as harvesting. 3C32AE52-C3B5-4CFE-A364-45AC11D17445.jpeg

5. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

This looks awesome! How many acres you got planted there?

I am looking to put some corn in the last weekend of June. Seems a little late but that's the only time my schedule has allowed me to get out there.

6. JPWARD

JPWARD

2 one acre strips of corn and 2 one acre strips of soybeans. Have a horseshoe plot with rape and turnips in half and oats and winter peas in the other half. This will feed a number of deer through the fall and is not that much work with probably $200 a year in cost.

7. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

I like the idea you have there. I am planting turnips on half my plot this weekend, clover is already establish in the other half. I also will be putting in a few rows of corn as a screen. Might be a little late in the planting game for me but better late than never.

JPWARD likes this.