close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Panfish rods?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by U.P Dreamin', Jan 15, 2018.

1. mjh4

mjh4

I've got a couple of 40 inch fiberglass handmade noodle rods given to me back in 1981. The guy who gave them to me was about 80 years old at the time i really like them and there still in use today. Probably made in 50's or 60's they've both stood the test of time and have caught thousands of fish. Their my lucky fill rods!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Scout 2, Drake and jimbo like this.
  2. fishbuster

fishbuster

I fish mostly in shappell fx 100. Pretty tight inside . So I use ht sapphire ice 16" light sp1-16L. I use west point crappie reels. Main line is 4lb trilene micro ice line or smaller down to 1lb.Depending . Also some are spooled with fluorocarbon..I also have couple ht 18" shanty stix. The 18" have a softer tip with larger eyes, which aren't as apt to freeze on bitter days. I tie up 6 to 8 rods before I go out. My hands don't work so good in cold weather.. . And I need reading glasses to see the small line. So it just makes sense to be all tied up ahead of time.

3. Sparky23

Sparky23

Wright and mcgil ti core is the best panfish rod made hands down for a
    Short rods .the 23in is amazing

4. unclecrash

unclecrash

love my little ht ice rod think its 32 inch so sensitive you dont need a spring bobber. And the red tip makes it easy to see . caught a 5 lb walleye on it this year. on one pound test.

5. Cedar Swamp

Cedar Swamp

I have a couple J.Higley customs (Mattawan, MI) that are my favorites, both are 24".
    jhigleyrods.com

Also have a couple St.Croix and the normal assortment of Schooley's.

6. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I started using my open water rods. One of my favorites that's very inexpensive is the Berkeley cherrywood. I cut the handle down tiny 20 deadbolt reel 2 pound test. I don't fish like most do though. I stand up most of time. In deep water I can work 10 foot of water column. I'm soon realizing ice fishing rods are a big waste of money.