close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Panfish rods?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by U.P Dreamin', Jan 15, 2018.

1. U.P Dreamin'

U.P Dreamin'

What is everyone's favorite panfish rod? Any specific length?

Thinking about buying a few longer rods, in the 36" range for staying mobile. Many people on here use longer rods for panfish? What are your personal pros and cons for a 36-45" rod? Any recommendations?

2. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

I've tried as many different rods as the years that I've been ice fishing and I always come back to my tried and true Schooley's for bluegill/pan fishing. I've got at least a couple dozen, all different lengths from 16 to close to 40 inches, most are "vintage" wooden handled ones I picked up at garage sales. IMO, its hard to beat a good fiberglass rod for ice fishing. That being said I do also own a couple of their ice-blues too, nice rods for when you want to use a spinning reel.

3. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

Me Too! I like the short schooley rods. I have 6 of them, each with a different jig setup. I have a couple of spinner rods, but they are mostly dead weight.

Burksee likes this.
  4. jimbo

jimbo

All mine are longer rods. most are 5 ft, my favorite is a 6 ft innerflow.
    one of my rods has a schooley reel, but most just have line pegs to hold the line. (6" apart +1 ft a wrap) A couple of these rods belong to my father, he passed in '81, so theyre old but work flawlessly. all have 2lb line on them,
    I've been thinking about getting a new rod with a reel on it, but afraid holding on to something with a metal or plastic reel seat & reel would freeze my hands.
    I'm pretty hard on my rods quite a bit, throwing them in the ice & slush, new fancy reels will never take that.
    you just learn to ease the fish up & let the rod play the fish out. I caught a 17" walleye last year with an old 5' rod

fishbuster and Burksee like this.
  5. Scout 2

Scout 2

Mine is a 5.5 foot hollow glass. Been using it since on the early 70's. I tryed to find another and now they don't make them in hollow glass

jimbo likes this.
  6. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

My favorite rods were Gander Mountain Advantage series 20" UL. I tight line so I prefer a shorts rod, gets me closer to the hole so I can watch my line. With them going out of business I've been kicking around the idea of making my own. Ice Blues are another great rod but I don't like how small the eyelets are, they ice up too quick. The advantage series have bigger eyelets which is another reason why I like them so much.

When it comes down to panfishing I like ultra light/noodle rods. I use a lot of small jigs which have small hooks. Which results in a lot of "skin hooking". These rods act as a shock absorber. Also helps relieve stress on lighter line.

mudflapimmc likes this.
  7. Cat Power

Cat Power

25” snitch rods

Love em

8. jimbo

jimbo

I should say too about the longer rods,
    I like a rod that a little stiffer than some of the new noodle rods.
    like scout 2 , them old hollow glass rod are nice

9. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I went to the 27" Tickle Stick and love them. The fibers run lengthwise and allows them to have a flat tip the last 8." In UL and Light action.

Kind of gives a quick overview:

10. U.P Dreamin'

U.P Dreamin'

A lot of good choices!

I have a 24" meat stick and want to try using the 36" as long as it isn't too stiff.

11. Scout 2

Scout 2

My hollow glas is a noodle rod. I have othere here that are long rods and they are tapered down so you don't need any type of bobber. All my rods are handmade by a guy who is gone now but he sure knew how to make them

12. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

40” Sims UL paired with a micro spinning reel and 2lb fluorescent gold line. Super sensitive. Love it!! shrubby

13. huxIIIhammer

huxIIIhammer

I like ice blues they are sensitive and cheap. I have them from 18" to 36". I think I bought mine for around eight dollars each so of I break one it's not a big deal.

crossneyes, Drake and mkarpov like this.
  14. mkarpov

mkarpov

Did they stop making the ice blues? I haven't seen them in stores (big box, and local) all winter.

15. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member