close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paint opener fishing report

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Nikotav1, May 1, 2017.

1. jaytothekizzay

jaytothekizzay

Any brook trout fishery in south east michigan, is extremely difficult to access, let alone fish. The few wild brookie populations in the area are all on private, brush choked land. However the fish are there. I personally caught brookies in se michigan on private headwaters a few years ago...was very cool

Boardman Brookies likes this.
  2. NPuffer

NPuffer

I used to fish the paint about 6 years ago and caught a 16" fat, strong rainbow that looking back might of been a steelhead. Haven't been back in years but am visiting my parents this weekend. Hows it fishing? Any advise for a fly fisherman would be much appreciated. PM if necessary, i know its a fragile stream.

3. Nikotav1

Nikotav1

F
    fished there about 2 weeks ago caught a big brown for that creek 16 incher probably my biggest using a pink worm in a deep hole, what I noticed is there's a lot less small ones and a lot more bigger ones in the deeper holes fish around the park and library. Haven't seen many rainbows heard a 14 incher was caught but I only seen small small ones

4. jaytothekizzay

jaytothekizzay

With all this really hot weather, u may wanna give the paint a rest until temps are more suited for catch and release...unless u are keeping fish to eat. If ur gonna fish and release at least crimp your barb, will help with survival in heat stress

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gatorman841 and mrblond like this.
  5. Matthew Peisert

Matthew Peisert

They're brood stock. Spawners from the hatchery that get too old to produce

6. Nutsboat

Nutsboat

They don't stock rainbows in the paint. Some do get past yates. I think there is natural reproduction.

7. fishpig

fishpig

Those little rainbows in the Paint are hatched there. Lots of steelhead spawn in that creek.

8. slammer

slammer

Yep. Natural reproduction of resident fish as well as running steelhead make it over the dam all the time.

9. fisheater

fisheater

The City of Auburn Hills plants about 700 rainbows in the 12" to 18" range annually for the Kid' Fishing Derby in June. I have caught them downstream of the confluence with Paint Creek. I believe that would be a much more likely explanation of adult rainbows in Paint Creek.

10. Nutsboat

Nutsboat

I'm amazed that folks deny natural reproduction in the paint. So those little rainbows with Parr marks are stocked, huh?

11. Nikotav1

Nikotav1

No one really cares this post is months old anyone know how to mute this

HunterJake22 likes this.
  12. Nutsboat

Nutsboat

Thanks buddy!

HunterJake22 likes this.
  13. fisheater

fisheater

I am not denying natural reproduction in the Paint. I am saying a 14-16 inch rainbow is much, much more likely to be an Auburn Hills plant. Genetic steelhead are much more likely to seek the big water, than to decide that Paint Creek is home.