Ozoga on Whitetail Male & Female dispersal

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by mbrewer, May 14, 2018.

1. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I think most believe that this is possible, but not as much of a factor as transmission from deer to deer. Even if not passed before birth, the doe can pass the prions by contact while the fawn is very young.
    <----<<<

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Thirty, did you weigh that deer?

3. red wolf

red wolf

All the ideas of what to shoot what not to shoot mean nothing until it is clearly indstood what transmits CWD. 1 infected deer did not infect the globe.

And killing a deer in a cwd area to try to prevent transmission is a tool that has not worked yet.

Something vs deer is spreading this . Like birds water coons coyotes plants ag seed.

4. otcarcher

otcarcher

Huh? In ~40 years of testing, the youngest with clinical signs was 17 months old. I dont suspect you'll ever acknowledge or understand the significance of that. Acquiring the disease and spreading it are not the same.

5. otcarcher

otcarcher

Clinical is showing signs of the disease.

6. otcarcher

otcarcher

Recent studies have shown fawns can be born with the disease. Again, incubation times vary, but the earliest known is 17 months. Some deer go much longer without developing clinical signs of the disease. Yes, deer shed prions too. However, recent research also shows the amount of shedding may be directly related to the progression of disease. Meaning, as clinical signs of the disease progresses, prion shedding increases.

jr28schalm likes this.
  7. mbrewer

mbrewer

Yeah, it kinda is. We have to figure out which strategy offers the best chance of limiting spread, and then ride that SOB until it hurts. The powers that be need to lead from the front for a change.

8. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

The propagation of prions is proportional to the disease's progression . . . . 3 times fast please :D

9. otcarcher

otcarcher

How many deer are there littering the landscape? The fact is, they're nearly all dead well before reaching clinical stages of the disease....even in Wisconsin where they have had the disease 20 years. I know that doesn't fit your narrative, but facts are facts.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    jr28schalm likes this.
  10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Is that not how you lower population numbers??

Silly doctor :rolleyes:

11. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Yes it was 105 LBS on the hoof .

12. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Ok, so not grossly underweight. I have killed Liv Co yearlings between 110# and 115#. Doesn't look too bad in the picture, either.

Thanks for the info.

13. otcarcher

otcarcher

You and your like can try killing them all if you wish. The fact is, CWD isn't going to stop even if you did, no matter what agenda driven nonsense you promote based upon some purely made up moral argument.

jr28schalm and Dish7 like this.
  14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

No i'm not saying it looked too bad but it had no fat reserves for this time of the year .It was not field dressed .

15. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Oh. Duh. I missed that part. Ok, I killed a YOY once that weighed 70 lbs. dressed. Probably comparable. So, yeah, that is pretty small. Interesting.