Oxbow Lake Oakland County

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by Raylaser, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Raylaser

Raylaser

Used to fish this lake about 30 years ago for Cisco. Was great back then but heard they aren't in there like they used to be. Also, looks like no public access accept for a small patch of land next to the cemetery off Elizabeth Lake Rd. Does anyone know if that's a legal entry point or is that patch of land owned by a home owner etc.? Didn't see a sign or posting that it's private but I was only looking from Google Maps. Any insight would be appreciated. Fishing in that area Friday 2/22 and it's a 90 min trip for me so want to make sure I start somewhere legit. If not Oxbow I have a back-up plan JIC!!;) Thanks for any intel. If anyone has been doing great on any other lakes in that area, feel free to send me a PM if you want to keep it quiet!! :D

2. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

Just curious...how did you fish for cisco? Are they good to eat?? Reason i ask i know a lake loaded with them

3. Raylaser

Raylaser

Mostly jigging Swedish Pimples. Use a flasher because they come in in schools and you want to adjust the depth of your lure ASAP once you mark them.

Only way I ever eat them is smoked and they are delicious that way. Basically treat them like any other oily flesh fish. You could pickle them too since they are a freshwater herring. I've never done it but assume it would be similar to other pickled herring. So quid-pro-quo if you are so inclined, please PM me with the lake you know where they exist.

4. dinoday

dinoday

There's no public access to Oxbow.
    I know where you are talking about, I wouldn't recommend it.
    White Lake PD will happily write you a ticket.
    Cedar Island has public access and cisco if that's what you really want to catch.

Firefighter likes this.
  5. Firefighter

Firefighter

Certainly no public access on Oxbow.

And the cisco took a giant dump when they started the private walleye plants about 15 years ago.

It's a shadow of it's former self.

6. Raylaser

Raylaser

Hey Dino and Fire, thanks for all the info. Very much appreciated! I guess I'm going to look elsewhere to fish tomorrow. As far as Cisco go, not specifically targeting them just remember catching lots of them back in the day. For a good day of pan fish action in that basic same area, what lakes do you guys like? I know them all, but as said it's been years since I've fished them. Any current intel on what's been biting in your area would be appreciated! Obviously not asking for honey holes, just lakes in general. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it on the down-low. I'm certainly not going to be over running those lakes as I only get up that way a couple times a year anyway, LOL!! Thanks again guys!!