Overloading a Reel and other first timer questions

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by spawnsac, Sep 16, 2018.

1. spawnsac

spawnsac

First, know that i have scoured this forum and been unable to find an answer to the question I pose below. If this has been asked and written about before I apologize in advance.

I have drift and float fished for salmon on the Great Lakes for 25 years almost exclusively on Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. This fall I want to try centerpin fishing and am trying to make a decision about my first centerpin rod and reel set up.

My specific question is about the line rating you find on centerpin reels.

Line Capacity is measured in lbs/yds like this -

The starter reels like Okuma i am considering are rated around "8lbs/275 yds"
    Others vary by model. "8lb/250yds" "12lb/330yds" etc.

How much can you cheat on these ratings and overload the reel? Are the simply stated to give you an idea of the reel arbor size or are the reels designed and balanced for only line rated in the specifications?" Can I put 15# line on a starter reel like an Okuma with a 8lbs/275?

I am planning on a fishing trip to the Pere Marquette in early October 2018. Spoke with the lodge and sounds like Kings are what I should be prepared for. Going to run a 15# mainline.

I like this lamiglas rod. Given my question above anyone have a reel they can recommend?

https://www.lamiglas.com/products/redline-centerspin-hs12cs-6-15-120-2-piece?variant=8673475756124

"Get out your wallet and buy and buy the right equipment" is acceptable advice.

Any other advice you can offer this relative newbie would be greatly appreciated!

2. abbatoys

abbatoys

The line rating on a centerpin reel really makes no difference other than the yardage amount you want to put on a reel. Typically some flyline backing and a 100-200 yds or so of your favorite line, be it 20lb or 8lb.. There are a lot more knowledgeable folks on here that will chime in and give you great advice..Kings are already in the P.M. so you should find them and some steel by early October. Kings are big this year...

3. LushLife

LushLife

i recommend highly you practice casting, how to stop the spin quickly when you lay the hammer, and know how to get your knuckles out of the way when you stick a hot fish

you can overload a reel, make sure there's clearance of the line from the back plate or it won't spin freely - like attaboy said, you don't need all 300 yards on the spool

nice rod

good luck this fall

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

The more line you put on, the more likely wind will give you trouble pushing it to the side of the reel. The more Lin you put on, the more likely it is to have it lay to one side of the spool on a retrieve and interfere with the frame causing it to bind up.

The more line you put on the further your casts. The more line you put on, the less opportunity to get spooled by a big fish.

With all of that said, as I spool up I get maybe 100 yards of backing tops, likely closer to 75, then fill with my line of choice to about 1/8 inch away from the gap between spool and frame. I would put no more than that at all.

For rod choice, that centerspin is a great rod to start with.

For reel choice, Okuma has the least resale value if you decide it isn’t for you. They do function fine and get you into the game as cheap as possible bought new. Islanders you can get most of your money back. You might be able to find a used one in great shape. They are also pretty darn bullet proof. Worst case, your first reel may become a backup reel as you decide you want something better down the line.

If you really want to jump all in on a reel, my go to is always a Milner. Great function, and classic design. Might be able to find a used one here and there. They do go quick when they pop up.

Hope this helps!

5. spawnsac

spawnsac

Thanks. This is all really great and useful advice.

6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

One thing to keep in mind when loading a reel is that on some reels the inner flange of the spool is smaller than the outer palming rim, which can present a problem when overloaded with line.
    If you can find a Milner, you can't go wrong, and I have heard that the Closer is a great rod.
    Enjoy.